1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

30hp Super Z issues

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jcltyson, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I have the 30hp Super Z 66". Just wanted to share an incident that happened to me today. Got a very early start on a large customers property. After backing off the trailer and engaging the blades the unit choked off. Not unusual because I didn't have it a full throttle. However this time it would not restart. The engine would only spin, never 'hitting' as if getting ready to start. To make a long story short I got the dealer techs out there, we ended up taking it back to the shop and eventually discovered the choke butterflies were stuck closed in the carberator. Moving the choke control button did nothing to release it, so the engine was flooding immediately, never coming close to firing. Once the butterflies were freed everything went back to normal. Set me back 3 hours....
    There are issues with this engine, no doubt. But when it's running there is torque galore. I believe there is still potential here if Kohler can get their act together. We'll see what their fix will do..
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They should be done with it and fuel inject this bigger displacement engine.

I still cant believe the problems Kohler is having with a simple carb.