1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

30hp vs 28hp-efi - Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcltyson, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I'm seriously considering a Hustler Super Z - 72" XR-7 deck with flex forks. I noticed in the specs the 30hp & 28hp efi carry the same specs (mainly torque @ 44.8). Can anyone give me both MSRP's for this package with either engine option?
    I know the efi model is higher (don't know how much) but why? The engine combo is 2 hp less with the same torque rating. What gives? Where will the electronic fuel injection payoff and will it pay off for the additional cost?

2. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

The 30hp Kohler is having carb problems. As for the 28efi, the savings will be in the fuel usage. with the 28efi, the fuel injection will give as much power as the 30hp and burn less fuel per season. Good luck
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They are in fact different. It's a misprint on Hustlers part. The 28EFI is 44.8lb/ft @ 2200RPM while the new 30hp is 47.1lb/ft @ 2600RPM. They are different engines, and with the fix just starting to hit stock at hand, I question if what you'd be able to buy THIS week will have the proper fix. IMO, the 30hp ran horribly and stuttered with every shake and hill.
    The MSRP's are all listed on the HUSTLER section. Till the end of June you take $1700 off of that price. It's roughly $1K more for the EFI. Yes, the EFI does get much better fuel economy, and the torque on demand and lessened bog lag make it a very nice choice for an engine.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Of those two engines I would go with the efi. Sure it costs more money but fact that it burns around 25-30% less fuel will pay for the additional cost of the engine. I'd say that 30 hp would burn over 2 gal/hr under any load and as high as fuel is now I don't think i'd want that.