30yrds or mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by smarino21, May 9, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i gotta install 30 yrds or mulch. I am not sure whats the best way to do it. I was thinking getting a little machine or something its on a 2 acre residential lot with all sod. I was thinking a DINGO but it tears up the grass. Anny ideas /

2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Dingo would be too slow. IMO loading the back of a pickup with 1-3 yards is the fastest method. If your truck isnt too high its very fast. Just load it up and pitch it out of the bed with a snow shovel. This doesnt even require spreading by hand or with a rake. I did 15 yards by myself in 5 hours the other day. I was humping it all day but that was a quick 15 yrds. Wheelbarrow method is good too but if theres truck access i would recomend that. Just be careful not to tear up the lawn.

3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Try a dump truck and bobcat should be able to do it in under 3 hrs. with 2 guys.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't drive a truck on the grass.(I wouldn't) Try a small trailer behind a garden tractor or Z mower. or if it's not hilly a big weelbarrrel can be just about as fast.

5. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

You'll most likely end up screwing up the grass with a dingo or skidsteer. Just sub it out to a mulch blowing service.

You'll still make money and all you have to do is make a phone call and send out a invoice.

6. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, and a couple friends. Sometimes it takes more effort trying to think of an easier way to do things.:weightlifter:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try an Ensilage Fork
    also called a cottonseed fork
    They have 10 or 12 tines, are as wide and roughly the same shape as a snow shovel.
    They load mulch!
    They RULE mulch!

The 10-tine is king for loading barrows, 5-6 forks worth, it's full every time.

Not far behind is the Landscaper's rake, you can find these at Home Depot.
    What a spreader that 36-inch wide rake is!

Between the 10-tine and the Landscaper's rake, they work me so good I do 5 cubes in the AM, 5 in the PM and call it a day.
    3 days later, 30 cubes done and chaching!
    You can sub it out to the blower guys, but I'd do the work for the rest of the money myself.
    I've heard of guys spreading 30-odd cubes in one day, but see, I like being able to work the next day and the day after that.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

its 30 yards not 300...........you guys callin for the use of a "blower truck"
    How do you explain to the customer that the super fine mulch didn't last more than a few months.....or that it is far from 3in .....more like a dusting.

9. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Have you either used a blower truck or been around one???

Any type of mulch can be spread with one, including the mulch you'd spread by hand. It can also be spread to any desired depth.

30 yards is roughly 30 man hours by hand or less than half a day with a blower truck.

Get in, get out and move on to the next job.

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i had 40 yards blowen in today it took them 3 hours(lots of moving) they made 1400 i made 500 and all i did was stand there and smoke cigerattes and talk to the hose guy. and it was 4 inches deep. you do have to go to work to make money. the biggest problem with subing work out is when you don't over see it and make sure it is done right, rmember that is what that 500 is for