31 HP Briggs Oil Changing Headache

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by regularguy, Jun 3, 2007.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I know that this topic has been tossed around many times, but when i searched I did not find a thread specific to changing the oil on the Briggs motor.

Has anyone found a better method for draining the oil on the Briggs motor than the one described in the owners manual? I tried using the small short plastic tube and it slipped off when I tried to position the flow to the pan and made a complete mess of everything. I had motor oil all over the engine deck and on the rails below and even on the drive belt and pulley, it was a complete disaster. I thought about installing a piece of hydraulic hose like my Dixie had and drain the oil out the back of the machine. I was hopeful maybe someone else had a better idea or possibly a solution.

For a really great machine this is the one area that sure could use some additional engineering work.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Regularguy,

That's one of those things that really seemed like a good idea at the time. We have had reports that especially overtime the little hose simply doesn't stay on tight enough and will come off spilling oil all over the engine deck.

We do have a different oil drain, much like you're referencing. It is a hose that screws into the engine with a plug on the end. The part number is 109-4324.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lenny

3. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

Lenny

Thank you for the suggestion, I picked up the oil drain hose from my dealer today. For only $12 you might think that Exmark would look at making that a standard item on these machines. Once again thanks for your help.