31 hp kaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keithslawnc, Sep 26, 2012.

1. keithslawnc

keithslawnc LawnSite Member

I have a Wright ZK w/ a 31hp Kaw. It has 1250 hours and has always used a little oil(1 oz every three hours)but has gotten much worse. A few weeks ago it start popping and sputtering when you started it and tried to advance the throttle (All most sounds like it is running off one cylinder.) Once it clears out it runs fine until you pull the throttle down or restart. It also is now using about 1.25 oz of oil per hour. I took it to the dealer when it first started the noise and they thought the valves needed to be adjusted. The adjusted them but the machine is running the same. Anyone have any clue what this could be? Thanks for the help, I will take it back to the dealer if needed.

2. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

The running on one cylinder sounds like a coil issue to me. Ive had this issue on 2 mowers this year. The oil usage could be valve seals or rings. I would almost check the compression on both cylinders to make sure they are near the same and within spec for the engine. If one is more than a couple pounds lower than the other you may have biger issues.

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

We had one that was doing the same thing. Check coils first, then do a leak down test. Our issue came down to rebuilding or replacing, customer replaced it for $2100.
    Posted via Mobile Device