31 Vanguard vs 35 Vanguard for 66 inch xs

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bj_y, May 1, 2007.

1. bj_y

bj_y LawnSite Member

Could you all please help me choose which one to get? I don't mind spending the extra 1000 dollars if there is a noticeable increase in power. Thanks

2. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I recently bought the 31 HP model of the 66 inch XS, it was a left over from last year but it didn't have any hours on it. The machine is really nice but I have noticed that in the heavy growth in the spring if the grass is a little too long it could use a little more horsepower. I have had to slow down slightly several times so far this year because of the heavy growth, it's certainly not a deal breaker for me, but you may want to consider the larger motor.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

35-------66" yummy

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just think, a few years ago a 31 hp gasoline engine was unheard of in the lawn care industry. Now we're saying 31 might not be enough. My how things have changes since the 25HP 60" was the standard.

But I'm all for it, like that power! I know my 27 Kohler seems weak after getting off the big Briggs.

6. YB Legal

YB Legal LawnSite Member
    from NC

we have 2 31/66. i cant see spending $1000 for four horsepower. i like the 31's that we have, the only time i've really had to back off is on the one with the mulching kit. but if money is not the question, then yeah you cannot really have too much power.

7. bj_y

bj_y LawnSite Member

I got the 35 hp. I will let you all know how it works out after today compared to the 31 horse.

8. AFD

AFD LawnSite Member

I bought 2 35hp 66 at the first of the year one has around 150 hours while the other is just over a hundred. There is no question I would buy the 35hp again. But I would never buy a 66 again. In fact today I called my dealer and ask them how much would 2 60 inch bare decks would cost me.

9. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Allot of the debate between the two is based on how you would use it. Bagging or mulching the extra HP would warrent the increase or if your mowing long grass on slopes. If your just side discharging the extra is not all that big of a deal. I am not sure what the difference GPH in fuel is between the two. The only bad part about the big engines is that it sucks to feed them if you are not using that power on a regular basis.

-TAZ

10. YB Legal

YB Legal LawnSite Member
    from NC

AFD, why do you want to change the decks to a 60"? we demoed a 60" 31 and i was not impressed with it at all. i think the bigger deck balanced the mower out a little better, the 60" did not want to hold a hill at all compared to the 66. it does take some time getting used to the offset of the deck, but i think you may want to demo one with the smaller deck before you spend the money changing out the decks. just some food for thought.