318 hesitation

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zak406, Jul 28, 2008.

1. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 1985 power ram 150 which is in perfect condition but all of a sudden im having a bad hesitation and bogs when givin gas in the engine(318 carbuerator) does any one know what it could be????

2. zak406

we checked the plugs and changed the aircleaner still nothing any suggestions???

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be the cat... or something as simple as a fuel filter or pump. Check your fuel pressure at the rail.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Does your carb have an accelerator pump diaphragm? While I'm not necessarily suggesting you rebuild your carb......the primary symptom of these failing is hesitation during initial acceleration.

.02 // YMMV

5. zak406

thanks for the reply the fuel pump filter and distributer cap were all replaced still having the same problem

6. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

I 2nd this diagnosis ..usually on Carbs the accelerator pump is the problem ..

7. zak406

tried rebuilding carb still not running rihgt next up is the cat.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

ditch it and get something with fuel injection. by 85 both ford and gm had it.

9. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

It sound like , some one for got to hook up a vacuum line up or vacuum leak. Check the line to the distributer .

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Around here I don't "check" no plugs :p
    I replace mine every 20,000 miles, that's double platinums, standard plugs would be every 10,000.

So if I go through the trouble of pulling one then the whole lot gets replaced,
    and if that doesn't fix it then the wires and cap and rotor are next.

On that note you probably just need a new cap and rotor, but...