32” Bob-Cat WB -mulching set-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Marek13, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    Just wondering… what would you recommend as a set up for mulching for my 32"
    Bob-cat- its 2006 model. Should I go with gator blades+ the plate to close the side exit hole, or do the set up recommended but Bob-Cat dealer (dedicated mulching blades)? Here is my situation got 2x 21inch Toro mowers + mulching blades and my 32 wb- 25% of my accts want mulching (bigger accts) others want straight cut or just don’t care how I do it as long as their lawn looks good.
    Now I haven’t played around with wb and I am not sure if wb with mulching blades can still bag just like the 21inch.
    What’s your take on it
    Thanks Mark

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 32 Bob-Cat and sometimes I use Gator blades on mine. I made an electric chute blocker for when I need to close the chute. I don't have the mulching baffles though.
    Some guys mulch everything but, you need to cut it when it's not very high or else you'll be running back over it again and again. Tony
    BTW, what engine comes on the 32 now? Mine originally had an 8.5 Briggs, I replaced it with a 12hp Briggs electric start.

3. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

The newer models have 15 Hd Kawasaki- the 2006 has the 13HP Kawi

4. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the 32in bobcat mower. I run gator blades when side
    discharging and they do a good job. Last fall I ran double gators
    for leaf cleanups , which helped in mulching up leaves for bagging.
    I just ordered a mulch plate for it , I am going to try to do some
    mulch cutting with it this year with gator or mulching blades, will
    try a few different combinations to see what works best.

5. Tharrell

Mulching with just a block over the discharge will produce blowout from the deck. The mulching baffles are required to do true mulching. I'm not into mulching per se, so I haven't invested in the baffles. Tony

6. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Tharrell, so when you use your chute blocker are you using it to keep grass
    out of bed areas, driveways and walks? Do you have to cut these areas twice
    to cleanup clippings? Also have you tried to use mulching blades with it?

7. Tharrell

Yeah, I use it to keep grass where I don't want it. The cut grass is thrown against the plate so, if there's a lot it will need to be dispersed with a blower. The baffles keep the grass from the left blade in the left chamber.
    If you try to mulch without the baffles, it will probably look like windrowed grass, you know, how a lot of homeowners do when they cut grass!
    Now, that's only true if you're trying to mulch grass during the spring growth or unusually tall or thick grass. And yeah, it's got Gators on it now. Tony
    Btw, it's been my experience that mulching takes longer because you can't go as fast and you have to cut more often.

8. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Tony, with the electric chute blocker on your machine are you able to bag
    the clipping or does it have to be removed to bag?