1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" 36" 48" Which Way To Go

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Jul 16, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

I wanna know what every one has found to be the most cost efficient. Do you buy a big mower so you can bid big lawns or do you stick with small town houses?
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a 21 inch then get the 48
  3. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

I have a 48", 52" and a 60" all Exmark. I wish I would have gotten either a 36" or 32" for the gates on some of the properties I doing instead of using the 21". I am able to fit the 52" and 48" in some of the gated properties.

4. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I have a 48 and a 21 for the smaller areas and trim. I have found that I can get through most gates with 48.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a 48 and it worked well for me for a few years. Good all around size with a 21 for the small stuff. For most of my residental lots, 5000-8000, my 36 works best as I can do the whole yard instead of switching to the 21 from the 48. Also less scalping which is a problem for me and my lots.
    As far as lot size my most profitable ones are the smaller lots so maybe a smaller mower (36-32) may be better. What are your lot sizes by you. Get a size you are happy with and than bid that size job. Around me there are a lot more 5000k lots than 3 acre ones. see a lot of guys that buy the big Z first than try to put in on a small lot and spend more time turning than cutting.

For the most efficient mower I would get a hydro no matter what size you get. The smaller the lot size the more turning and backing you will do and the hydro is better at that than the belt. just my 2 cents.
  6. MightyMc12

So every one is torn between the two? I wish there was a deffinte decion one way or the other. Oh well.
  7. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Most gates are 36-38"...so buy the biggest mower you can, that can get through back gates...that is the 36".

I do nothing but residentials, have for 20 yrs...and the 36" gets through 95% of all back gates. I didn't even own a 21" for many yrs.

Get the hydro if you can afford it...I use belts myself.

MightyMc12, The desision is up to you to make based on you area and lot size. The question you asked is like asking what size shirt will fit best. Only you know your size. Some people have told you what they did and why but the best thing for you is what will work on your lots.

The real answer--- get an Exmark-TThp-36" TT3615KAC with the ECS--full float deck-hydro. Velke on the back for large lots-Grass gobler on the side. Mulch kit for summer.
    Most likely out the door for less than 6k and it will do just about anything on residentials. Just stay away from the big lots for a year or two. Than buy the Z and do the big stuff. Eat your veggies and get plenty of sleep!
  9. MightyMc12

i was just asking because there is a relativly cheap 36" exmark that is used and then there is a is cheap 32" used. The 32 has been demoed a couple times but that is it. The 36 has a few years on it.
  10. PMLAWN

Buy both and start a fleet. I just went through the 36-32 debate and I went with the 36. I'm Happy!