32" & 36" Toro Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 19, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some advice from all of you regarding the purchase of a mid-size walk-behind. I currently run my business on a part-time basis. To increase the amount of work I have or reduce my current mowing times, I am considering purchasing a mid-size walk-behind. Here are my questions for you:
    1) Most of my customers have narrow gates leading to the back-yard. I quite sure that a 32" mower will fit but I'm not so certain about a 36". Therefore, I might get caught in a situation where I'd be using a 21" in the back. So, is it really worth it to get a larger mower. Will the time savings be that great?
    2) Is the fixed deck or floating deck better?
    3) Should I buy used or new? The new ones are a huge investment for me but it's hard to find good used 32" or 36" machines, especially Toros which are my favourite.
    4) Do any of you have experience with Toro's new 32" or 36" fixed decks or the 32" recycler floating decks?

Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i bought a 32 in cutter about 3 weeks ago, it fits thru every gate i have. threw the 21" right off the trailer, cut my time way down. i dont have any toros, the 32 is an exmark, i got it for $500, very good investment .

3. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Joed,
    I'm from Toronto as well. For our props I wouldn't recommend a 32 because their is no hydro floater avail.. YOU NEED HYDRO FLOATER if you're using a big WB on most Toronto props.. I recommend 21 LB comm to start, you can side blow anything with a LB. and they're fast on small res.. If you have the $$ go with a 36 hydro floater Exmark (W.E. Enterprises) or Toro (Kooy Bros.) I prefer the Exmark, smaller footprint, better cut, better control,(ECS vs. T Bar).
    Not sure what part of Toronto you're in but this is true for most of the props in my area.
    At Kooy Bros they have a 33 Stealth, at W.E. they have a 33 Troy-bilt. Don't get suckered into buying either of these pieces of junk just 'cause they're cheaper than the Toro or Exmark.

4. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Be careful when looking at 32" mowers. Some do not have power turn capability, which means you have to manually push it to make it turn and that can be more work than doing the whole yard with a 21"

5. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Be careful when looking at 32" mowers. Some do not have power turn capability, which means you have to manually push it to make it turn and that could be as hard as doing the whole yard with a 21"

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

VLM,

Power Turn? Just squeeze the levers and it'll turn on a dime! You must be thinking of the homeowner versions of mowers like a Yazoo or a Troybuilt. We are talking about commercial mowers. Most 32" are built exactly like a 36" which is the same as a 48, etc. Many use the same parts with the deck being the only difference.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought a Toro 32" , fixed deck, belt-drive wb this spring. I had a 36", but I had too many yards with 36" gates that the 36" would not go through. I get a nice cut with the fixed deck. It is fast, and I think it is about as productive as my old 36". I opted for the 12.5hp Kawi. engine. I really like this machine.:blob3:

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question, IMO a fixed deck is perfectly acceptable in deck sizes under 48". As far as small gates, yes they're a PITA but over time you can minimize the problem by weeding out "little-gate" lawns from your list. Finally, GOOD used stuff is available, you just have to be willing to look.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have had a hydro floater 36 for 5 years now. rebuilt both pumps and kohler 14 is still going. VERY nice cut, built like a tank. fits through 90% gates. problem is usually not gate width, it is usually whether gate will open fully, or if posts are crooked. had an exmark belt fixed 32, would cut anything as well, but hated belts and pull starting. still love my toro. used ones are around for cheap if you look. new carrier frames take the engine and pumps and make like a new rig for less than a grand. dave g

10. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Cutntrim,
    You're in Southern On.. Are you doing Toronto city lots or are you in the outskirts? I've used a fixed 32 & 36 on these props and it doesn't work. Late June, July & Aug a fixed deck may work when cutting higher. Much better off with a floater, and a 32 belt fixed can't outrun a LB on city lots.
    You'd be "weeding" out alot of props if you did't do anything with small gates.