1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32 Bobcat 13HP Kawi vs. 32 Scag 15HP Kawi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thirdpete, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

What's the deal with these two mowers?

I can get the scag for 3100, and the bobcat for 2700. I own a bobcat now and am happy with it (48, 15hp kawi) but have heard great things about scag.

is the 13 underpowered? I wouldnt think so, since the 48 bobcat I have now seems to run fine. It leaves a few blades here and there in super high grass but I haven't seen a 48 wb that turns 12" grass into a ball field.

I'm leaning towards the bobcat but want to hear what everyone else has to say.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got 12.5 on my 32" exmark. For years the standard motor on a 32" was 10.5 hp briggs, no matter what brand mower.
  3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I run Scag's and am happy with results. However, if you already have a bob-cat why not stick to another bob-cat? I think it looks tacky to see multiple different mowers on a trailer. But, every mower has its place. Just my .02 stupids
  4. pitbullguy

pitbullguy LawnSite Member

Scag makes a great mower and Bobcat makes a great mower for the price. We where thinking about going with Bobcat for our whole setup, but we chose Ferris instead. If you ran Bobcat and you like it than just go with Bobcat, they make a good product.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I put a 12hp Briggs on my 32 Bob-Cat and it pulls my _ss with Jungle Wheels just fine. It's an awesome trim/small yard mower. I think the 15hp on the Scag is just a selling point for someone who thinks they need that much power, which you don't. They do sound nice though!
  6. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

I'm here to say that the scags are cadillacs. That's all I run, well until I came across a great deal on a John Deere WB.. .:clapping: But on the same note, if the first Bobcat is serving you well and the dealer support is there, I'd say stick with'em. Dealer support is HUGE. To me that comes immediately after how the product performs.
  7. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

thanks a lot
  8. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

I am new to this site but I will reply to this since I have used both models. The Bobcat has plenty of power for the size of deck. If this was my decision I would go with the one that has the better dealership in your area. If you have been running Bobcats and still plan on having some in addition to this 32 inch machine you may be best suited to stay with the Bobcats. If the dealer you use sells both you are in luck and take which ever feels best to you when you take them for a test. I like Scags alot..however my rider is a Scag and my walk behinds are actually Bobcats. If I were getting a walkbehind I wouldnt hesitate from getting another Bobcat at all..if I were looking to spend alot and get a hydro walkbehind I would look no further than a Scag though.