32" Exmark Metro w/ECS vs. 32" Toro TBar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmanlq, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

Need to buy my next mower and I'm somewhat new to this business. Got to be 32" to get through gates in the backyards of some of my customers. I'm considering the two above as my final choices. I have good dealers for both as they are willing to lend a loaner or rent one if mine goes down plus they have service departments. The Metro 32" walk behind is $2599 and the 32" Toro TBar walk behind is $2949. Is the Toro worth the extra money? Exmark dealer is closer to get to. Both offer financing to ease the pain.

Also, please keep in mind that next season I hope to buy a bigger 3rd mower...maybe a 48" or 60" and I'd like to buy my two biggest mowers from the same company...one stop maintenance. Love to hear your thoughts especially if you've used both of these two products in particular. Thanks in advance.

The Toro website seems to have more details and features as shown:

Patented Adjustable Baffle
    Patented Adjustable Baffle
    Allows operator to achieve maximum cutting performance by fine-tuning deck to conquer changing conditions, unique job sites or different times of the season. In extreme conditions, the baffle can be opened in order to conserve power and achieve faster mowing speeds. In less demanding conditions, the baffle can be closed to yield micro-sized particles and maximize discharge velocity.

A flat, crisp cut with precision blades.
    A flat, crisp cut with precision blades.
    1/4" thick precision blades resist flexing to provide a flat, crisp cut. High-strength, heat-treated alloy steel survives impacts and provides resistance to the rapid wear commonly associated with abrasive conditions.

Smarter design in a bull-nose bumper.
    Smarter design in a bull-nose bumper.
    7-gauge bull-nose bumper not only protects against frontal impacts, but also contains an integral underskirt to minimize blowout of debris and dust. The bottom, leading edge of the deck is raised 1/4", allowing grass to stand more upright when entering the cutting chamber, ensuring a level cut. Leaf "plowing" during spring and fall clean-up is also significantly reduced.

Rubber Discharge Chute
    Rubber Discharge Chute
    Made popular on Toro Z Master zero-turn riders, the high-performance rubber discharge chute allows for close trimming without damage and provides exceptional clipping dispersion.

Compact Models
    Compact Models
    Compact 32", 36" and 40" units can easily fit through gates and maneuver around smaller, tightly landscaped properties.

Choice of Controls
    Choice of Controls
    Choose between traditional Pistol Grip controls, and Toro exclusive, fatigue reducing T-Bar control system. T-Bar steering increases productivity and is ergonomically designed to reduce activation force. Unique operator presence control disengages blades and returns unit to neutral without engine kill.

T-Bar Curb Hopper Design
    T-Bar Curb Hopper Design
    Reverse and curb-climbing made easy with patent-pending T-Bar curb hopper design.

Unique Under-the-Deck Skid Plate
    Unique Under-the-Deck Skid Plate
    Reduces scalping when traveling over uneven terrain and to avoid catching while loading onto trailers.

Rugged Spindle Assembly
    Rugged Spindle Assembly
    Rigorously tested to ensure that it can survive impacts that would destroy lesser spindles. The cast iron housing, with a massive 9-3/8" diameter base, absorbs impact loads and distributes them across a broader area of the robust deck shell.

Exclusive TURBO FORCE® Deck
    Exclusive TURBO FORCE® Deck
    High-capacity TURBO FORCE decks deliver unsurpassed strength, a superior cut, and increased productivity in extreme mowing conditions. Equipped with a patent-pending adjustable baffle, TURBO FORCE decks can be fine-tuned in order to conquer changing turf conditions.

Extended Life Drive System
    Extended Life Drive System
    Extended life drive system with Peerless® 700 series transmission, featuring a 9-spline drive coupler.

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Those prices sound outragous for a 32" because last time I checked a toro tbar 32 was going for about $2499 not $2999. Look into a cubcadet commercial or a lesco machine. They are built far superior in my opinion and are a great price value. Plus I have found that although lesco may not be able to service your machine at their shop they always have the parts you would need to fix it youself which I would advise to save money. Thats just my humble opinion so take it for what its worth.

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

no ecs on the 32"

$2699 is the price for 08'

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally suggest the Exmark Metro. I have owned a Lesco in the past and in my opinion it was ok. Just something I heard is that there will be big changes wit h Lesco mowers in the near future. I would assume that they would keep stocking parts but who knows.

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

the exmark and toro are the exact same mower. The only difference is the controls....

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like the Exmark 32" is only pistol grips ... therefore, I'd go with the Toro T-Bar controls because it would definately be easier to handle !!

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

There are some errors/discrepancies on Toro's website...

The 36 and larger mowers have Turbo Force decks...the 32 does not have a Turbo Force deck...so it may or may not have that adjustable baffle. Ask or call your dealer or Toro. For the most part, I hear/read great things about the T-Bar controls...and your quoted price is very near what I was quoted.

FWIW, these are 400+ lbs mowers riding on fairly small drive tires - 13x5.00-6. This is just one of the major reasons I'm going with a Quickie 32 Samurai-339 lbs (Ninja-326 lbs) riding on larger 16x6.50-8s.

For me...IFF it rains & I have to delay mowing, even for one day, to avoid putting ruts in a customer's lawn = PITA...and possibly interfering with MY weekend.

.02 // YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Frue,

This isn't exactly true. The decks are different. Toro did start using the Exmark Pistol Grips on their machines starting a year or two ago, and they offer the T bar.

The tractor units are the same, except for paint/serial number tickets, and stickers.

Guess Exmark had to do something with all those piston grip parts.....

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the toro t bar is worth every$ it cost. i bought a second one brand new at 2900$ and didnt hesitate one second. quality pays off in the long run. look for a used one to save $

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I second what Valk said: My Metro does not have an adjustable baffle or the Turbo force deck.