1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" Exmark Or 32" Lesco user input...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Jan 20, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about getting a new 32" wb for small yards with gates and then also getting a nice ztr( probally a 48" although I have given thought to a 44") so that I would have just about all bases covered. I already have a 48" wb for a backup.

I dont know anything about 32" wb, and I was interested mostly about the Exmark and Lesco.

Are they single blades?

I would be cutting st.augstine

Cant you do just about everything that a 21" can do with a 32"?

Any feed back on both of these mowers as always would be appreicated.
  2. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I see you are still in the market for a backyard mower (32" 'er). I have really studied 32" 'ers because that's pretty much all my company uses. Since you don't want the stander, I would recommend the encore 32" walk-behind. It has dual drive belts on both sides..whereas the majority of its competitors have a single thin belt on each side. While it isn't always a problem of its competitors, when they get wet it is. The Encore isn't perfect in wet conditions either..but it is better to have more or larger belts. A brand new Encore 32" w/ 14KAW from my dealer was only $1899. last year.

The only other 32" I really even considered was SCAG because of the single WIDE drive belt on each side. It was about $400 more, and the only difference than the drive belts was that it had a PTO, and I don't mind engaging the blades manually.

There is also the Bradley..I don't know too much about it or even seen one, I do beleive that there are dual drive belts on their 32". They are pretty cheap also compared to others. Maybe $3-400 cheaper than the Encore.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the one that can be fixed with available parts at the place of purchase. That by process of elimination leaves out lesco and definatly bradley. This is one of the shining points of exmark. Any small odd part is in stock or can be the next day or its free.
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Why would Lesco not have parts?? I have owned 2 w/b's by Lecso, both of them gear drive. Every time I needed something all I had to do was pay for the part and one of the guys working ther would install it for free. Is that good enough service for you?
    My first 36" Lesco was bought used at 3 yrs old. I kept it for 2 years than sold and bought a new 32". I never had to replace anything in 4 years on the 32". Lesco mowers are very well made. That being said, the pistol grips will wear your fingers out and make you think that you have arthritis. The Lesco 32 does have two 16" blades. If I you I would make sure the mower didnt have pistol grips.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the lesco :)
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like thats something unique to your dealer. Or do they all do free labor?
  7. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

That I'm not sure of. I buy all my fert & chemicals from them and in return they will really go out of their way to help. They have offered to come out to a customers house to diagnose and help solve problems. I really depended on them my first few years of business. They will also deliver to your place of business.
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 32" metro and love it.
  9. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

I would go with the Lesco. I have owned 2 walk behinds and they have never given me problems and the price difference would is pretty large between the two. Also my Lesco dealer has a in house mechanic with most of the parts on hand.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I read a post awhile back about someone who converted their lesco into some other style grip than a pistol, I cant remember which one. I was wondering if anyone knows which post that is or if they have ever done anything like that. I agree my pistol grips on my 48" kill my hands after a long day of cutting lawns.