1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

32" Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Nov 17, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

Presently I have only a 21" mower and a riding 21" mower, I would like to add a 32" to my fleet.. WHY 32 you say? our property sizes are not that big and we have lots of gates, I just picked up a few commercial sites and I wouldn't mind using this 32" to make it more quicker..

I have no clue as to what to look for in a 32" or even what brand to get?

:dizzy:

2. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

I have a 32" Exmark Metro W/B. It's a belt drive and from what I have read the hydro versions must be much easier to handle but since this is all I have ever used I have gotten used to it. It has plenty of power. I use it to pull a two wheel sulky in 4th or 5th gear with no problem. It cuts through anything and never bogs down.

I am very happy with my Exmark but if your properties are small and you want to be able to use a sulky at all you will need a hydro version. Belt (or gear drives) do not reverse and you may find a 21" to be about as fast as a 32" belt drive if you are having to do a lot of reversing.

Have you considered at Gravely PM 34Z? I have never used one but it just might be what you need.

http://www.gravely.com/OPM34Z/

Good luck! :waving:

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Where did you find a 21" rider??? You must look like an elephant riding an ant...Seriously, the Exmark 32" Metro, and Snapper 32" are both good choices if they are available near you.

4. alpine692003

LOL ... no, i dont need a ZTR .. I have small properties...

So you're saying, I can't use a sulky on a 32" belt?

I think I will use both the 32" and a 21" on this property.

Yah, the 21" riding mower is cool though lol... I bought it mainly to get from one place to another...

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Did you know that a 36 Exmark TTHP is actually 35.5inches and will fit through a standard three foot gate no problem? Great machine!

6. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Alpine,

I am not saying that you can't use a sulky on a 32" w/b. I use one all the time. But I don't use it on small properties that require a lot of backing up. The sulky helps me pick up a lot of time if the properties are flat and relatively open and in this case it is much faster than a 21" mower. However, a belt drive will not back up with a sulky on it's own power so you have to get off and puuuullllllll it back. It is a real hassle in tight areas and in situations like this a 21" can be just as fast.

What I am saying is that if your properties are so small that you couldn't maneuver a 34" Z on them then you will probably find that there is so much maneuvering that a sulky with a belt drive would waste more time than it would help you gain. A hydro model would probably be a lot better choice because - from what I understand - you can back up with them using a sulky.

Hope this helps answer your question. :)

7. alpine692003

Yah it does in a way..

Thanks...