32 or 36 Inch metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Just Cut, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I am going to purchase a new Metro this spring, the question I have is will the 36" fit thru the majority of the gated yards? or should I go with the 32"
    Thanks in advance:)

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought a viking and i found around my area most gates are 38-40" and the 36" might not fit throuh all of them so i went with the 32"

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I vote 32". You'll be glad when you pull up to that one house with the slightly smaller gate :)

4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

get the viking 32 its a little more but is worth it.power reverse,it can handle a sulky better.the tires are better to

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 32".

The 4" of difference is not that big of a deal.

Goto Home Depot and get a 36" tape measure that mounts on your keys on a key chain. I think it's $1.99.

Take it with you to all your estimates. You can measure the gate right then and there on the spot to make sure you are ok.

Remember that a 32" mower is really like 33.4 and a 36" mower is really 37.5 or thereabouts. Check the Exmark web site for the EXACT mower widths...

Gary

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I always carry a 32" on a truck. You'll always have that st00pid yard a bigger machine will not fit through. :cool:

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I went with the 32" Toro fixed deck. It's the Exmark deck, identically. In belt drive, I prefer the Toro. But if you plan to use it a lot, the Viking 32" would be nice, especially when you have to make turns in tight areas and need to reverse.

The 32" will fit through more gates and is nearly as big. But it does have skinnier tires.

I find the 32" scalps less than my old 36" toro floating deck, if that helps. I think of it more as a super 21" mower than as a full featured midsize mower.

If you can fit it, the floating deck on the turf tracer hp or metro hp would be better if you have to switch mowing height a lot.

I believe toro makes a t bar 10.5 hp briggs 32" version for $1999 retail if you want to save some cash on the small mower. Not as good, but about $400 less than the kawi 12.5, I think.

The 32" leaves me frustrated on anything bigger than postage stamps. But when you need a narrow deck, it's great.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we use a couple 32" to get into backyards and those smaller areas and we love them.