1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32 or 36 inch walk behind, need some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

I am currently looking to double my yards number from 10 this year hopefully to about 20 or so next year. Mowing is a part-time job for me and I do not think I can do more than that and still do my teaching job. My question revolves around which walkbehind to buy to increase my efficiency. Most all of my clients currently will accomodate a 36" mower. Should I buy a 36 and only take future clients that can handle that machine or should I buy a 32" in order to take advantage of good properties that might not accomodate a 36" machine. I guess the bigger question is does 4 more inches increase productivity enough in order to risk missing out on some back yards. Thanks for all your advice it is greatly appreciated.

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I'd go with the 36". How big are the lawns that you have?
  3. Tlvoskamp

I would say that right now most of my yards take me about 40 minutes to do with a 21 including edging and blowing. I have a few yards that take 2 hours, they have alot of ground to cover. Most of my yards I would rank in the small to medium category, only a few big yards. do you think that extra 4 inches from a 32 to a 36 saves significant time. This time issue really comes into play when school starts and I have to teach all week and try to get all my mowing in on friday afternoons and saturdays. I am looking for the most productive machine for medium to small stuff. Thanks for all of your advice

4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

4 inch's doesnt make a huge diffrence , but i think it makes enough. I've yet to find a yard that a 36 cant fit in. You can slip them threw 32 inch gates if u have the right 36 and really try. Why not get a quick 36? There on sale right now so you can get them NEW for like 1799, there hydro too :) .
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i would go for the 36 also,if you really want to manage your time just don't cut any props that have a 32inch gate .in the long run you will become more efficient not dealing with them,but if need be don't get rid of the 21 ,save it for the smaller gates .on a side note if you average 40 min with a 21 you should be able to cut your time down to 22 Min's per yard ,your next decision to make is whether to buy gear drive or hydro, again if you are going to be in it for the long hall get a HYDRO.good luck
  6. Tlvoskamp

If you were locked in budget wise to a gear drive, and you get a 36 would you get a fixed or floating toro mower? I have a couple of good toro dealers in the area and I really like the t-bar system? Thanks again for all of your advice.

7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

get a floating there what 200 more maybe? maybe 500 at the absolute most, but you can swith deck hieght in a second and if u have a really tall yard to mow you will want to change the hieght
  8. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i just recently bought a 32" bobcat (15hp kaw) and am extremely impressed. i hav 4 or 5 properties i use it on that can only handle a 33ish or so deck width so the 32 was my only option (other than 21... eff that). i would say go with the 32.

eventuall you will probably have a 48 and a 32, one for wide open areas and one for gates. thats efficient.
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a bobcat in my neighborhood when I was cutting. What controls do they have?
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have both and I can tell you the biggest difference are the tires and drive belts. There are bigger tires on the 36 and the wheel belts are dual. It makes a really big difference when it's wet out. The 32 will not recover very fast after getting wet but the 36 will.
    I can't cut with the 32 if there's a layer of dew in the morning.
    Horsepower is higher on the 36 also which means I can cut in a taller gear.
    Now, the 32 can be manhandled on a steep bank like nobodys business compared to the 36.