32 or 36 inch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Feb 23, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I was really hoping to avoid buying a 32 or 36,,,,but a couple major
    property managers are saying,,,"if you want this, you need to help on that".
    Gated Properties,,,,So I am now looking for a 32 or 36.
    Xmark, wright and toro have dealers in my area.
    Has anyone been able to use a 32 instead of a 21?
    Do you buy the biggest one that will fit thru the gate?
    Anyone have a 32 and wish it was 36 and visa versa.
    I like the Wright because I heard it does better on hill than a 36 WB ????
    I know this is vague,,,but any input helps with this.
  2. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I always say, "why bother with properties with gates, its a wast of time." But if you have to, I would at least buy a 36''. Most gates can accommodate that, and it wont take you as long to cut as opposed to only having a 21'' or a 32''.
  3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I use 21" mowers and a 36" mower. I do all residential. There is always a few lawns i wish i had a 32" because the 36" just does not fit in a yard. Gonna break down and buy a 32" this year.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is real simple you make more money cutting small yards and if 32" fits all yards and a 36" doesn't buy the 32". Scag makes an fine belt driven WB and Standar has the best little 32" riding machine made. Market your business to one size and concentrate on that instead of buying a big load of equipment to do small and large yards.
  5. TSG

That is great advise I didn't know they made a 32 standar
    going to that site now
  6. TSG

Who makes a 32 standar,,,I see wright makes a 36
  7. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

I have a 32" Toro just for the reasons mentioned above. The 36's wont fit through every gate.
  8. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

if my 36 won't go through a gate i don't do the yard. Most gates will allow a 36 to pass through no sweat.
  9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Wright used to make a 32" and I think that they still do. I don't recall ever seeing it on their website. Your local dealer should be able to hook you up though.
  10. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a 32" because my 36" didn't fit through a lot of gates where I mow. I think it depends on the types of neighborhoods you work in. I work in some very old neighborhoods. Lots of small gates. I think a lot of your newer neighborhoods have larger gates. If you buy the 32" you will be able to do everything the 36" can do plus the one's it wouldn't. If you buy the 36" you will have to use the 21" when it doesn't fit. I personally don't like using the 21".

Good Luck