32'' Or 36'' Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, May 25, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

looking for a good used walk-behind. Whats the best for the money and job, a 32'' or 36''? What brand? Like to get it used also. I already have a 61'' scag turf tiger and a 21'' walk-behind self propel mower. I just need that in between mower now. whats good? need to get into gates when I get that type of yard.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

What ever you can find for sale cheap. Any magor brand of belt drive will do you fine. They all share the basic drivetrain setup and operation. Parts are cheap and they require minimal maintenance. 32 or 36 will fit through any gate. Check Craigslist and I am sure you can score one for less than 500. biggest thing is make sure the engine is tight and doesn't smoke. make sure the tranny hits all the gears, some slop in the lever is normal.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  3. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

some people say they have trouble getting a 36" into some yards, personally I have had some tight squeezes but most standard gates or 3' wide which is 36". i picked up a mint exmark 36" metro walk behind for a great price and I couldnt be happier with it
  4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem being that a 36inch isnt a 36inch because of the deck or a Guard. 36in is complete swath of the blades not the outside deck size. Now my 32 will always fit and it has a huge open deck and will side discharge alot of grass. but it will take a week if u mulchd the week befor to get the clippings to fall threw. If your always mowing with it you will never have an issue.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 32" and there isn't a gate it can't fit threw. I also had a 36" that couldn't fit threw a lot of gates.
  6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

36 is more productive for 36 gated yards, but a 32 gives you more play to get through the gate.
  7. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I will be on the look out for a good 32'' or 36'' for a good price.