1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" or 36" WB mower????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Mar 21, 2005.

32" or 36" Belt Drive WB mower?

1. 32" mower

13 vote(s)
  2. 36" mower

29 vote(s)
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question for you guys. I am going to get a belt drive WB mower in the near future, for my 11 year old brother. Now for the question; what size should I get, 32" or 36". For those of you with 32" mowers, do you wish you had gotten the 36", or visa versa. I am between the Bob-Cat 32" belt drive w/ 13.5 HP Kawi V-Twin engine, and the Bob-Cat "Classic" 36" belt drive w/ 15 HP Kohler or Briggs engine. They both have single A belt drives, so it is an issue of deck size and engine. I already have a 48" Bob-Cat belt drive WB mower w/ 15 HP Kawi V-Twin engine, which I love!!! I would be using the 32" or 36" mower for my brothers use, for gated yards, as well as a backup mower if needed.
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I like the 36...gets through most of my gates and cuts more than the 32...but I think if most of your properties have smaller gates that only the 32 will fit through, then I would go with the 32.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have never had a gate that I couldnt fit my 36" through. If you get the 32" you are guaranteed to fit through any gate. A 36" will be a little wider. You make the choice, but I vote for the 36".
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a 32. I have a ton of gates a 36 wont go through.
  5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

a young guy might end up leaving tire marks on the posts with a 36. but They do fit. The 32 just seems tooo small. Some yards I'll make 30 passes with a 36, I don't care much for doing any math right now but I bet it wold take about 10 more passes when alls said and done. get the 36. someone once told me to get the better stuff and grow into it.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

When I priced Scag walk behinds last year, the 36" was only like $50 more than the 32", so its definatly not worth the cost savings.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have both but, I do have a Bob-Cat 32 and it fits everywhere. If it's not your main mower, get the 32.
  8. JCP Crafts

JCP Crafts LawnSite Member

You already have a 36 and a 48. I believe that the 32 would give you one more option and just a lil bit easier for your 11 year old brother to manuver as well.
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I ended up getting a 36" Toro Proline last season, and LOVE it!
  10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

My main mower is a 52 inch rider and my backyard will be a 32" Id rather be guaranteed the backyard instead of having to take a chance.