32" or 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Apr 3, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

WB w/ fixed deck, belt drive, probably eXmark. Does the 36" scalp worse than the 32"? Would both mulch about the same? I am not sure which size is better.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

With all the anti-scalping devices on mowers now days, I wouldn't think you would have a problem with either unless you are cutting at below normal cutting highths. I had a 38" JD and I've had a 60" JD, I never had problems scalping with either. Bigger is normally better. :)

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Although I love my 36" Exmark, I often wish I would've bought a 32" instead, simply because I'd be able to use it in more places. A lot of backyard gates around here are between 32" and 36" and I gotta use my 21" on those back properties...

-TGC

4. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" Exmark I love it.I can get in all those
    gated yards with it, and its so much faster and easier
    on you then a 21" mower. I wanted to get a 36" but it
    wouldn't have fit through any gates. I wish i would
    have bought it a long time ago.

Jason

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just pay a little more for an 36 HP gear driven with anti-scalp rollers and a floating deck and you won't have any problems. (Unless you have small gates as mentioned)

6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest that if it is going to be your only mower you should go with a 36".

If you have a bigger mower also the 32" may get you into ALL the tight spots that the 36" would be found hard to fit.

Just a thought...

Mark

7. nso1000k

nso1000k LawnSite Member

Who has a gate that is only 32". I mean what's the use. How practical is it to have a gate with only a 32 inch opening. Why not do away with the gate and just hop the fence. If I can't mow the grass with my 60" lazer I pass on that yard. I have too much to do.

8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i have an exmark 32 just for the small yards with the gates or hills that i can't use the z's on.i see that dane came out with a hydro 32 last year.they should have made that mower with the flip up side deck a lttle smaller like a 48 that will flip up to 32". gates blow!

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 32" exmark belt. that thing could mow anything and never scalped. I miss it. dave g

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

36"

Also, the exmark factory rep told me that you don't need a floating deck on a 36". Because of the narrow wheels they don't usually scalp.