32'' stander vs 36'' gear driven wb with sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassmasterB, Jul 16, 2005.

1. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

still trying to decide on next mower. would a 32'' stander be more productive than my 36'' gear driven walkbehind w/sulky on residential yards 1/2 acre or smaller? how about on yards larger than a half acre? whats the top speed of the 32'' stander?

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering about the standers myself. The video looks great but I was wondering how they are on bumpy ground. The video only shows a parking lot, not on bumpy ground, I think you would kill your joints. Does anyone here have one??

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have never seen or operated a 32" Stander but I did on a 52" Stander and it blowed my 52" TTHP away. The cut is about the same but boy, the speed and manouverability is unpararelled. The new one is even faster like 8+ mph. It is a lot faster than WB/sulky for sure, besides being so short taking nothing on trailer space. Doing tight or large lawns, the 52" stander beats 52" eXmark walk many many times.
    Your belt walk is no match to Stander cause Stander is hydro and it flies.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some things to think about with the Stander: 1. Difficult to get under tree limbs and normally small yards have several. 2. Difficult to get on/off the trailer due to deck dragging. 3. Deck height adjustment difficult. 4. Small tires can leave ruts. We tested the unit and liked the cut and everything else but decided against it.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am replacing my 32" metro w/velke with a 32" stander when it dies. The stander way more productive than any walkbehind and sulky combo.

6. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

test drove a 32 stander this week. unhappy with deck height adjustment, rear tire width, and blade thickness. It has pros and cons. For me, it's not for me. I'll stick with the 32 wb and sulkie.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well everything you just stated is the exact same things that a 32" walkbehind will have for problems. All 32" machines are fix deck (except the ferris/simplicy single hydro) So the deck adjustment is also a complete pain. All 32" machined have narrow rear tires. The stander's tires are the biggest of all the 32" machines. And all 32" have very thin blades. I wanted to get gator magiums for my 32". Sorry they don't make them. Only high lift gators. So everything you just said was BS. I run a 32" exmark with a velke and demoed the 32" stander. Trust me the 32" stander is worth every penny because its 20 time faster and way less fatiguing.

8. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

why not just buy the 36 stander? Since you are debating against a 36 walkbehind and a 32 stander, I think that a 36 stander should be considered. The new ones have wider tires in the back than the 32. Just curious as to why you wouldn't want the 36.

9. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

What about a Gravely 34" ztr? I looked at the 32" stander which is a nice machine, but the gravely suited me better for the area that I work in. Its a soild machine, with a kawi 15, cuts well in thick st.augstine.

10. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

i wasn't debating between the two. i have a 36" walkbehind. just last week i turned down two yards because my 36" wouldn't fit in the gates. a 32" would have fit. since i'm not taking on anymore large yards i was thinking i might get a 32" stander which would fit thru almost all gates and i wouldn't have to use a 21'' for some backyards, (which i'm trying to get away from doing). i'd like to have a 36'' stander but i'd still have the same problem. i was thinking a 32'' stander would be more versatile and i could use it on all yards front and back and with higher top speed and better mobility it would be more productive, even though it has a smaller cut. so i was looking for opinions on the 32" stander and how much more productive it could be vs a 36'' gear driven walkbehind with sulky.