32'' Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Thinking about changing my city crew trucks, 3 21's, into more of a versitle crew by throwing a 32'' stander on it. You guys that use them week in and week out on residential lawns what do you think? Any rutting in fine grass lawns? And how much time does one save you, as compare to a 32'' wb on same crew.

2. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Ours will be for sale or we will trade it in next year. Just bought it 1 month ago. Very, very well built machine and runs really well, but it has 2 major problems.

1. In heavy grass it leaves the center between the 2 blades uncut. i have to take over sized blades and cut them to fit, so as it cuts all the grass.

2. It indeeds leaves very tell tale ruts. You have to be extremely careful on how and when you mow with it. Even if it dry out, but most lawns are watered, so it really doesn't make a difference. After the one crew mowed with it for a few weeks, i went out and checked several yards and you can see every direction they mowed.

We have purchased a quick 36 and are trying that, but that machine also has some issues and also a 26" metro.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use the 36" Wright Sentar sport and the tires are a lot wider and we don't see any problem with the cut. We moved from 36" Scag/Snapper hydro WB to the Sentar and like it alot. We have rapid height adjustment and starter and a seat and 17hp Kaw. Unless there ends up being some design flaw this machine is a big big winner for souther grasses. It don't take up much room in trailer and small residental customers don't mind it.

4. Hermanator

We are from oklahoma, so mostly bermuda. still a problem for us either way. Just our experinces.

5. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

We have a 52'' Stander for Commercial Crew - was wondering about those small tires on the 32'' - 36'' maybe the better choice.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The older 36" models had I think 6" wide tires which is what I am guessing might be on the 32's. The newest 36" has 8" wide tires I think so that should help a bit.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I headed for problems...which engine do you have and do you mulch? We did fool around with blades a little and ended with a pretty flat blade that is sharpened amost all the way to the center.

8. Hermanator

17 horse electric, almost 100% mulch, best blade is a gravely mulching wave blade. I think they are 1/4 inch longer then the standard ones. you will need to cut it down about an 1/8 inch.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info haven't tried the wavy blades on that unit.

10. Lawnaholic

Lawnaholic LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

Patriots. Hello, I'm from the area. I have a 36" Dane Stander and it cuts and works flawlessly. If you do a lawnsite search on these mowers you will see alot of people bashing 'em, etc. but I guess I may have gotten one from a good batch or something. Mine cuts greats, runs and operates great and so on. I have had nothing but good luck with my mower. It's compact, quick, and cuts down my mowing time big time. Out of all my residentials, I only have two back yard gates that I can't fit it thru so I pull the 21" Toro Proline off the trailer to take care of those(and those are postage back yards at that). I also use this mower on everyone of my commercial accounts. Before having it, I never thought twice about purchasing one. Now that I have it, I don't see how I ever worked without it. It's makes the day just that much more smooth. Once you change out your trucks to a stander, you'll only need one, possibly two 21's(one for backup) on your trucks. The 21 will probably never get used unless you can't fit the stander into a gate or unless the stander goes down. If you have three man crews on your residentials, you'll be able to turn those into 2 man crews. With my stander, on my residentials, with two of us working 'em, we get 'em done in 30 minutes or less. When we three man 'em, we're in and out in 20 minutes. And that's mowing, edging, line trimming, and blowing every single yard, every single time. The time saved by these machines is incredible. As far as rutting up the yard, if you turn them only using one of the handles, you will rut it up because the one tire(with the handle not getting used) is "braked"(I hope that makes sense) and will pivot in the yard and cause a rut. Also, I know the machines say and are "zero turn" and at first you'll want to make zero turns but you'll find out that that also causes the tires to spin which will in turn rut up the yard. I've found that if you make a "three point turn" with them(kind of like you would in a car), you won't rut up the yard. It's a technique you'll have to get used to, but it works for me without rutting up the turf whatsoever. The cut on my stander is superb. I have a two year old Dane which has the three blade system(3 - 12" blades) instead of the two blade system(2 - 18" blades) that you find on alot of other 36" WB or 36" standers. All in all, I say go for the stander. You'll be glad you did. Hope my input helps.