32' Toro Walk behind--CUt/Options

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenIsland, Feb 15, 2002.

1. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

Not to offend anyone- and not to rehash- as I have searched and searched and am getting alot of conflicting data. My question is is the 32" Toro walk behinds cut professional enough - and if not what other brands would be my option -- I have alot of yards with gates and no other size will work. I was looking into one of these yet I have seen alot of negative flak on the actual quality of cut. Owners please post-- people upset that this question has probably been ask a million times sorry-- just need real good advice.I mainly would be using machine on Buffalo grass. Any modifications help appreciated as well.Thanks

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought one last spring for the same reason, narrow gates leading into big yards. Mine is fixed deck, T-bar steering, and 12.5hp Kawasaki eng. I am very happy with it. It cuts nice and has plenty of power. Toro does not make a mulch kit for this machine and Gator blades are not available for it. However, I have not found the lack of this capability to be a problem, as the cut looks good anyway. You could run doubles on this machine if you wanted to. I cut Bermuda and St. Augustine, so I don't know how it would do in other grasses. I like the 32" as it will clear a 34" opening.:)

3. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

If you don't need a t-bar the new 32 Gravely is pretty good.

Barry

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I checked out the new gravely's last week. Nice looking machines and they are very well built. (Barry, you guys did a good job). Can you get a mulch kit for the 32"? If so, go look at them over the toro.

5. sid

sid Banned

EXMARK VIKING HYDRO 32" will kick any 32" belt azz.

6. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

I got on the Toro website and it appears that they have a mulch kit for the 32"- others have stated they do not. Because I live in such a desolate state I can't even find a dealer with one. Can anyone tell me if they have such a machine with mulcher--I appreciate it. AS far as the other brands of machine I can't find many dealers close as well that are carrying anything in a 32-- I'm afraid the larger ones just won't get me through many gates. (KANSAS=Few MAchines/Many gates)

7. All of the commercial mowers cut proffesionaly, just your opinion or variation of that is what counts.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 32 inch WB. It is a great machine, in six years the only thing I have replaced is the front tires. The quality of cut is not too bad, I have not had any complaints from my customers about it. It came with the recycler deck which mulches and side discharges. If the grass is really long it will tend to clump a little when side discharging but it mulches very well, other than that I would not hesitate buying another one if this one ever wears out.

Ray

9. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Island,
    Opinions on the Toro 32" depend on the model you are looking at. The older model with the single blade and floating deck has not had a lot of positive review from what I have heard. It apparently tends to scalp and does not side discharge real well. The newer fixed deck 32" has much better reviews probably due to the fact that it has 2 single blades leaving a much nice cut. As far as I know, this unit has no mulching kit, which is a shame but you could probably manufactor one for yourself. Other models you may wish to consider are the Gravely 32 and Exmark 32. The toro 32 is exactly the same as the exmark 32 except for the T-bar steering. The exmark 32 comes only with pistol grip. ECS is not available. If you really want to spend some big bucks, you could always go with the Exmark hydro 32". It'll be close to double the price but a hydro is a hydro though personally, I would not want to spend that amount of money on a 32" mower.

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know where you got your info joed, but the new Toro's use a single blade, Exmark uses 2 blades. I don't see how you can scalp a lawn with such a small deck, doesn't seem possible, heck I can't even scalp with my 42" FIXED lawn tractor.

You can get either a fixed deck or a floating deck with the Toro, for a price of course, a deck so small that would not be a main mower, I would go with whatever is cheaper, it's not going to be used all the time...or is it?

Personally, I feel that if money is tight, it could be worth the extra time to use a 21" and spend a little longer unless the back yard is just huge. A 21" costs less, cheaper to maintain, less to breakdown etc, less equipment and less hassle = more $$$

If cheap is what you want, Toro makes a 10.5 HP, fixed deck mower, I'm sure it's cheap, you don't need a big ol' fancy 32" just for your gated accounts.

Hank