32" vs. 36" and 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Sep 30, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

As my first season ends, I'm considering changing mowers. I have an eXmark 52" HP ZTR I'll definitely keep. I also have an eXmark 36" Metro and a Toro 21" recycler.

I'm thinking of replacing both the 36" and 21" with a 32" for next season. I have about 20 customers, and have had no situation where a 32" would not have worked in place of either of the other two mowers.

I know Toro and eXmark both make 32". Any other brands? Have any of you used a 32"? I'd like your wise opinions of my idea, please.

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

scag and ferris do. The ferris has a hydro 32 which looks like a very good machine.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well I would get the 32" metro. I got one and love it. As for the 32" dual hydro, only Wright currently makes one. But if you wait until spring, they will have a 32" stander. I want one.

4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would keep the set up you have now. I own just about the same equipment as you (52" rider, 2 36's and a 21 snapper) and the places my 36" won't fit a 32" won't fit either. I just watch what I bid and make sure they have atleast a 37" gate or if I have to mow it with the 21" it better be small enough I can be done within 10 mins. Thats my thinking on 32" mowers.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I have 32" dual hydro eXmarks & the 21" Prolines get used more Often....What Does that Tell You ?!?!?

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 32" Snapper WB. I can squeeze it into many backyards where a 36" would be impossible to fit into. For my needs, it is a very useful machine.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Bob-Cat 32" and I've been preaching the benefits of it for a long time. Other LCO's comment, "You can get into anywhere with that". A 21 is is used where the area is too narrow for the deck like between curbs and sidewalks etc...

8. davis

davis LawnSite Member

i have a toro 32 fixed deck and i like it

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep the mowers that you have now. if you are doing or want to do commercial accounts your going to have to get a 21" to mow the small areas by the pavement. if you have to have a 21" then why get rid of the 36"?

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel that a 32-36" mower is necessary, for just about any LCO.. Even If it's just a cheap belt WB.... Here's my reasoning.. anything you can cut with a 21, you can cut much faster with a 32.. More horsepower is one of the main reasons, a higher ground speed is another, and finally, lower operator fatigue. In some cases you may even be able to do a property in half the time or less with a 32 vs. a 21.. There ARE some areas though that you must have a 21 for.. like the long narror strips in a parking lot island or some other area that one would just work the best for ( and I haven't found to many of those areas.. So here's what I'd do.. get a 32" machine that suits your fancy, buy a cheap 21" Wally World hi-wheel special, and call it done..

Shoot, some areas that some folks do with a 21, I can usually do faster with a trimmer..Either way though, machines like Gravly's z34 and the forthcoming 32" wright Stander, would be top on my shopping list. More productivity/speed/power= more payup