32" vs 36"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WeeDr, Nov 11, 2007.

1. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

For the first WB I should get I'm debating on going with the 32" or the 36". I've been told by a couple of people at the mower place it would be smarter to go with the 32" to get into back yards. What do you think?

Thanks,

WeeDr.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like good advice to me ... I suggest getting the Quick 32 that will be available in February, 2008, from Better Outdoor Products !! Here's the website ...

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

funny you ask......

getting into diffrent marketts for next year we just went and ordered the exmark 32'....

I would strongly advise against the quick 36

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't suggest he get the Quick 36 !!

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you explain why?

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to get a 36" Exmark, but later decided to get the 32" and am I glad that I did. I have probably about six good residential accounts that I wouldn't be able to get in the backyard with a 36". For what its worth I love my Exmark Viking.

7. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding the 32 vs 36 question... I would say get the 36. I haven't found any gates smaller than 36". And if they are then you can usually hit them w/a weed wacker because the area will be so small. The 36 will have more porductivity than the 32 and since this is your first year most yards will be smaller and require a smaller mower vs a 52" or something. I'd definitely go w the 36. You might want to have a 22" beater around for hills and stuff though.

I started this year w/the Quick 36 as my primary mower. It is built well and is easy to work on. Getting parts isn't really an issue since most parts are off the shelf at a farm supply store. It's also got electric start and an hour meter which is something you dont find on smaller mowers - it's great!!

Some bad things about it:
    It is SLOW! I even adjusted the hydro cables and it is still only at a fast walk. A real PITA on properties bigger than 4000 sqft.
    They have a sulke but it cost around $300. I eventually welded up my own bracket to mount my velke. Still slow, but at least I dont have to walk.
    The height adjusting truly sucks. I'm typing this w/a 2" gouge on my thumb I got while slipping on the ratchet you need to loosen the rear mounting adjustment. I hate this part!! They need to come up with a pin and lock deal or something. The rear adjusters always end up sliding out of adjustment too.
    It's also loud as hell!

Dont get me wrong though. Every mower has problems. The Q36 got me thru most of my first year w/o any major problems. I've overall been happy w/it.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a very good point about the extra 4" of cut. I do wish I had that but since my 32 is my backyard mower its not a big deal. I guess it also depends..is this your only mower or will you be purchasing another one?

9. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

32s are cheap so you might as well buy it and then get a 36 later if you need it. I started out w/a Q36 and a 22" Craftsman. I used the Craftsman only on one property with a nasty hill. Other than that I never use it because I'd much rather use the self propelled hydro Q36!

Recently I bought a 52" hydro Scag so now I use that as my primary mower and the 36 where the gate is too small or the property is too small.

Good luck!!

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sure....

So far. I cant stop this mower from leaving stringers..... I have tried everything, mulching. gator. discharge. going backwards. stopping in one place for a while seems to do the trick. But I simply cant mow that way...

it also has a briggs engine and as we all know briggs never was a top end engine builder....

throw a few thousand with the price of one and get something that will last and do a much better job for you....

so far I havent seen and of the better outdoor products do well.

If your cutting something that really dont matter then ok but with not only my high standerds but customer also.

No one I have employed now or have had likes it... the handles are to low, making it hard to handle and most employees state that after running it for an hour or two it hurts there back

I have a quick 36 that I'm about to give away.