1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" Walk behind or 32" Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawnman, May 10, 2006.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I need some honest input. I've searched this forum for hours so don't bust my chops too hard. I have about 15 accounts that have the old scroll wire fences around them and 34" wide gates. Others are fenced in with chain link and also have 34" wide gates. They are government owned - no way are they going to put in larger gates.

So I'm looking at 32" mowers so that I can stop killing myself with my 21" push mower.

Would you go with a walk behind or spend the extra bucks for the speed of a Wright Stander? Will a 32" walk behind pull a sulky?

Where are ya Itsgottabegreen?

Thanks for any input.
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

32" Stander all the way.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We are very very happy with the 36" Wright Sentar Sport we bought this year. I know you need the 32" so don't know if you will get the height adjustment lever but the other feature is the electric start. After pulling those 15hp WB units the electric start is nice and works well in covered trailer. These Wright machines are really more efficient than I could have ever expected, almost cuts as much as our 48" Scag ZTR units. And these units don't take up much trailer space. If all continues to go well with our 36" I think we will switch completely to them in future.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have similar yards. I hate those small gates!! I am seriously considering replacing my 36 wb with a Stander. The only negative I can see with them is they wont hold a hill as good as a wb...and I have a couple of really steep hills I cut.

The 32 doesnt have the rapid height adjuster ( I dont think)...which would be bad in my yards..
  5. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

How much moisture do you get? I had a 32 stander and when it was wet it would leave ruts. I went to a 36 rh and that helped. If that, rutting, is a concern I would go with a 32" mower since they have wider rear tires and are a couple hundred pounds lighter. But I know the stander, 32", is a little faster, even if you you use a stand-on attachment for the 32" unit. Your decision, don't really know your turf......
  6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I Have a Toro 32" (single blade) that I used for a few years but it was a horrible cut unless it was 2 1/2" or lower, just wouldn't lift the grass. I still have it as a backup. I did use it sometimes with a velkye but being a belt drive was only good on open ground. I had a Toro 44" hydro with the velkye that I also used for a few years but found that I didn't get the many of the bigger lots so was limited on the number I could use it on. Traded it in towards the 32" Stander. I use it on most of my lots. The largest is a little over a 1/2 acre. The cut times I get with the Stander are better than I got with the 44" Toro with the velkye. Muchmore maneuverable than the Toro and quicker too. I have a number of places with the blasted little gates. If I didn't have the small gates I probably would have gotten the 36". As far as cutting on slopes I think it's just as good as the Toro was. The cut is better than the 44" was also. I really enjoy using the Stander it's fun to use. Cost is going to be higher than a belt drive 32". Other things to consider, you won't need a velkye or sulky, a large platform allows you to move your feet around, you can step off with one foot to pick up debris ( keep one foot on the platform since the dead man switch is attached to it, this saves some wear and tear on the clutch, not shutting it off and on as often ), the quad lever system works well, I'm not sure if anyone makes a 32" hydro. The Stander will be heavier than a wb, it's heavy duty construction plus what ever you weight. As far as rutting goes any mower will rut if you always follow the same tracks. I found standing on a one wheel velkye caused worse problem than the Stander does. A 21" will rut if you always cut the same direction. Most everyone that has a Stander likes them, it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of them, when I was looking for info the ones that didn't like them had only demoed them for a short time. Hope that helps some.
  7. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much. I've made an appointment to tour the Wright factory in two weeks because the dealer and distributer don't have a 32" in stock for demo. It looks like there's a Wright in my future . . . .

Now if Mother Nature will just keep bringing the rain!
  8. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

MDLawnman, i am looking for a 32" stander. How much do they go for. I got about 15 accounts. I used to have a 36" exmark hydro, but i HATE the hydro. The only thing i liked about it was the reverse. Now all my lawns are small up to 1500-2000max square feet and no hills involved. I demoed a belt driven one and liked it so much better. When you use say wet, how much rain does it take for the stander to rut, does it rut only with a little rain. Either i go with a stander 32 or a scag 32". I know the stander is more productive but i don;t have alot to spend on another machine.Which would you choose in my case? thanks LawnInOrder
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Wright here. LOL. When my beloved 32" exmark metro finally dies. It will be replaced with a 32" stander. But thats going to be awhile. I got rid of all my small gated accounts. All of my accounts other than 4 are 2 acres or more. The 21" is what goes with me now for 1 account.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my toro 32 cuts great at 3-3.5 andeven 4 inches. i use a gator blade. it also pulls my velke like a house -a -fire.