32" walk behind with sulky or 34z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by parafighter4, Apr 27, 2004.

1. parafighter4

parafighter4 LawnSite Member

I have several residential customers with small gates. I'm debating on getting a 34z or a 32" with sulky. I was told not to put a sulky on such a small mower because of balance and power...does anyone have some input for me?

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The advantage to the w.b is they can mow hills to.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If your mowing a hill with a sulky though, you probably wouldnt be able to pull it with the HP provided on such a small mower. I assume you are talking of the gravely 34 Z, i saw it at my dealer, and it looked good, but i am not sure if it would handle hills. I would go with the rider, if you have small flat lawns. Also is the 32 Belt or hydro?

4. parafighter4

Yes, I'm considering the Gravely 34z. Also looking at the Gravely 32 Pro G...belt drive.

5. parafighter4

The dealer advised against the 32 with sulky because the front end was too light and I may burn the tranny up...

6. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I was in the same situation this winter.

Last spring I bought a Ferris 32" Hydrocut, good mower but after reading about sulky's on here I decided why should I walk?

The 34Z seemed like the perfect mower and I was almost convinced I'd have one on my trailer by spring.

After weighing the pros and cons I decided to just put a Pro-Slide on my Ferris.

Money was an issue and so were a lot of little things, the 34Z just wouldn't work for me.

The Pro-Slide is great because 75% of the time I need to walk due to tight spaces, but it's great for the open areas that I don't have to walk anymore.

I run doubles and have added 20lbs to the front, so far it's doing ok.

7. parafighter4

Hey Nova,
    Ever had any problems with the engine not having enough HP or tranny slipping? Do you mow any hilly areas?

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your dealer is either a moron, a liar, or he's selling a crummy product. But that's not surprising, given the general knowledge level of many people I've met in that business.

The transmission on my belt drive 32" wb is the same as on the 44" and bigger ones I've had. Peerless 700 series. I use a velke on the 32" all the time. It works fine if you just add about 10 lbs of weight to the front, which is easy. Transmissions are $190 and install in about an hour. You might wear your transmission out a year earlier with a sulky. Big deal. I haven't killed one in 12 years.

I would find another dealer. Someone in the business should know better than that. I bet he also didn't bother to mention that there are 32" hydro wb's available. What a guy, eh?

Use the 34" rider if you don't forsee needing a wb to get on slopes or areas a ztr won't handle. Otherwise you'll still be short one mower.

Some advantages of the Gravely 34z are:

1. ability to raise and lower deck fast when needed
    2. much faster practical ground speed which makes it usable for larger areas when needed.
    3. hydro steering is easier than any 32" wb steering sytem.
    4. you're sitting, duh.
    5. Electric start I assume, vs. manual on most 32"

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Wright has a 32" DD Hydro Velke Mower.

velke.jpg

10. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

The engine is a 13hp which is plenty for a small mower.

There doesn't seem to be any added strain, but I'm not a mechanic.

I don't know what you consider hilly, but because my Ferris doesn't have any steering controls I have to walk it across slopes, that's why I love the Pro-Slide... step off, step on.