32"Walkbehind Hustler or Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by torontoyoman, Feb 15, 2006.

1. torontoyoman

torontoyoman LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Hi
    I'm looking 32"Walkbehind which one you guys think is better ??? Ferris cost
    $ 3099.00 + 15% tax CAD and Hustler cost $ 3189.00 + 15% tax CAD . Price not the issue , just witch one is better .
    Thanks .

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not have a walk behind but a zero turn, Ferris. Love it.

Tim

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking belt or hydro. I can't tell because those prices seem high but I see your from canada so they may be for belt drvie. But if they hydro I would say the hustler because it is a dual hydro (I think) and the ferris is for sure a single hydro. Also just on a personal note, I think the ferris 32" look a little goofy, and I am a ferris guy but don't realy want to buy one of those. But I can't acutaly help as far as wich one is better other than the hydro issue.

4. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt know hustler made a 32". Those prices are way high, you can get a 32" ferris for about $2400 around here. Look at the Gravely by the way.

5. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

My bad, I didnt see the trimstar. I would probably go with the ferris if you mow flat ground and the hustler if you plan on mowing alot of hill or ditches.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have one of each of the Ferris'. If it's a hydro avoid it if you have any kind of hills at all and if it's a belt avoid it if you lack the hand strength of Superman or like having a parking brake on a mower.

I will hopefully be trading both on mine in on a new 34" Dixie Chopper RunBehind shortly.

7. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

If at all possible I would recommend moving up to the 36" Hustler Hydro trimstar with the H-bar steering! I know it is more initial cost but once you have it you will love and the cost will be forgotten. You should be looking at about $ 4950.00 CAD plus tax of course. (but maybe only 6% GST if Harper comes through, LOL)

8. torontoyoman

torontoyoman LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Guys
    Thanks for all the info , I just bought Ferris 32" for $3000 +15%tax:canadaflag: .... i guess is very good price for 32" mower .

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

More data required .

what gate sizes are you dealing with?
    Hills or flat?
    small or large areas (more turns or less, lots of tight areas to back out of?)
    firm terrain or soft?
    Do you need to mulch, and if so, which has the best mulching performance?
    Need to bag? Which system works best?

If the Ferris is like the one I tested, it has some advantages and some disadvantages.

It is hydrostatic, so you have instant reverse, better performance in rain, higher ground speed, and its easier on your hands than pistol grips. The deck is faster to adjust and can adjust through a wider range w/o tools.

The negatives are you have to literally turn it with muscle power, not band brakes like on the Hustler. So it may be a handful to control on slopes. It also may not handle a stand on sulky as well as a mower with positive steering.

But unless I had a lot of medium-large sized gated yards that a 36" or larger wouldn't fit it, I'd get a larger size deck. :weightlifter: