1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" WB motor comaprison?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 12, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

12.5 kawi vs. 12.5 kohler? is one better then the other? what would you go for?
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

my dealer said a kawi will get about 500 more hours than a kohler.... who knows though.... go with your gut...
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Kohlers are a nice smooth running engine, but then again Kaw's are dependable.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

12.5 -don't know about but I have a 36 with the 15 kohler and a 15 Kaw on my 48. The Kohler is a single cyl. hard to pull and takes three or more pulls every time. The Kaw is a 2 cyl. and it is much easer to pull and starts 1st pull every time. Because of that I would pick a Kaw on my next mower. The 15 hp on the 36 does a good job and will pull me on the 2 wheel velke. I personally would try to go bigger than the 12.5 but I don't know your working conditions.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 12.5 kohler on my eXmark metro. The single cylinder kohlers seem to run better than the single kawi. would try to see if you can get a 15 hp v twin kawi. You will next to nothing for problems with it.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I think they are both good engines, I believe the Kawasaki is stronger because the HP is measured as constant, where the Kohler is peak with the governer kicked in. This is my understanding anyways.