32hp Vanguard problems???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PLS-Tx, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It's all good.
    I was just throwing a little info out there for those who aren't exactly sure what the deal is with the Vanguard and B&S.

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the help guys, we will be contacting the factory this coming week and will update thread.

This is a family run business, three brothers one of their wives and son all work their. The son is the one that works on lawn mowers. He is not there half the time, very frustrating. Several things he has worked on for us we had to bring back because it was not right, sometimes more than once.

Needless to say we will not be purchasing any more ztr's from them. We were wanting to get another 3100 but not after this.

Looks we have two choices. There is another Ferris dealer that I have talked to, they seem like they have things together. Problem is they are a little farther away than I'm comfortable with.

We may be changing over to Scag, demoed a Cheetah a few weeks ago and we liked it a lot.

3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Hustler quit using Briggs because they would not stand up to their warranty so they droped them.

4. FMC1959

FMC1959 LawnSite Member

I don't know how Ferris works internally, but most MFR's, the local rep is paid and commisioned on revenue that come trhough the dealers in his territory.

"Looks we have two choices. There is another Ferris dealer that I have talked to, they seem like they have things together. Problem is they are a little farther away than I'm comfortable with.

We may be changing over to Scag, demoed a Cheetah a few weeks ago and we liked it a lot"

If he catches wind of a statement like this, the local mom & pop that is not giving you the service can get an earfull, maybe even pull their dealership and give it to someone else if there have been enough complaints. (don't know if there are many options in your area for Ferris).

He also has the power to approve warranty repairs or returns on items that be out of their regular policy. (not your case as you are in warranty period, but just saying)

5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I called & things are in motion. Looks like it will be covered, B&S has already called the dealer. Will give more info as soon as I have time.

Thanks again for all the help!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is great, please keep us updated...remember there are bad engines with all manufacturers, but I personally would consider Vanguard as being at the top of all non fuel injected mower engines. This is even with the fact of me just buying a FX1000V Kawasaki that has only just as of Saturday turned 8 hrs. on the meter.

7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I still have great confidence in Ferris & Vanguard but none in this dealer.

I'm sure out next Ztr will be a Scag Cheetah with a kaw. Thankfully the Scag dealer also sells Stihl. This way we can do everything @ one dealer, this is very important to us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

A dealer can make or break you!!!

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

So can a Briggs...why gamble...get a Kohler....
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Very true
    Posted via Mobile Device