33 HP Generac on a Bobcat Predator Pro Opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Feb 24, 2009.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Any one have opinions or experience with this combo or engine. I was on Bobcats website and it looks like a good combo.Wondering about durability quality etc. All opinions welcome.:waving:

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Great machine. Go with a different engine.

3. rstan2010

rstan2010 LawnSite Member
    from Troy MI

don't buy that engine, in my opinion its the worst ever and the cut on a bobcat isn't to great

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I used to run a 60" Bobcat and loved the machine. It had a very nice cut.
    As far as the Generac engines go, I would not worry too much as to it's quality. Generac did have some problems with their engines used on mowers. But, over the last couple of years, they have debugged them. They seem to be very good engines now. In fact, I am very close to buying a ZTR with a Generac on it. In the past, I said I would never own one of those engines. However, after trying one, and listening to owners, I have changed my mind.
    One problem with the Generacs is that parts are not readily available from aftermarket sources, yet.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The Dixie that I am planning on getting this year will have a 33hp generac. The dealer seems to like them better than the kohlers on the dixies. And plus the warranty is 3 years with option of purchasing an extra 2 years, so a total of a 5 year engine warranty, not too bad.

6. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Just about everything that I've heard about the Bobcat predator pro has been good, especially the cut. As for the Generac engine, I have the 32/33 HP Generac engine on my Lastec mower and I really like it. It has great power and with the last oil change had used less than 3 oz. of oil. Not even enough to get halfway to the "add" mark on the dipstick. The only reason that I added any was to see just how much it had used in 60+ hrs. It now has about 260 hrs on it, so I can't speak to the long term reliability yet, but am very satisfied with it. I would think that the dealer that has it would stock most of the parts that you would need to fix minor issues. As one of the previous posters said, they had some issues in the past, but I believe that they've been worked out. The thing is, some people have bad experiences with these engines in the past and probably never tried another one in the last few years. so their opinion will probably never change. Maybe some people have had trouble gettin parts direct from generac in the past. does that mean that Generac hasn't gotten better at getting parts to the repair shops/dealers? If they haven't gotten better, how does a small company like them remain in business? My engine will use between 1.55 and 1.8 GPH of gas depending on mowing conditions, which is no worse than any of the other "Big Block" engines. Only in heavy, thick grass, with super high lift blades does it get to the 1.8 GPH. If you search the threads, you will see that Kohler, Kawasaki and Briggs Vanguard engines have all had some issues at times, not just Generac. I wouln't hesitate to buy another Generac powered mower.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Any other opinions?

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My opinion is just that my opinion. i would never again go with a big block gasser, they use way too much fuel. I went diesel and I will never again buy another machine with a big block gas engine.

9. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

My dealer offered me that the 37 hp kawi for just 300 more on that model. Look into if yours wont do something similar.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

My response was based on the parts availability. Our dealings with generac have been basically a PITA and at this point in time if a generac engine comes in for service we tell them to leave it on the truck. Mostly what we see are older generators. We did get setup with generac when they started putting those engines on Bobcats just in case one ever came in.

Check with your dealer and see if they have had good luck dealing with Generac or not.

They might be the best engine out there, but kinda worthless if getting parts becomes an issue. Stick with Kawasaki, Kohler or Briggs for your big blocks.