34" Z vs 36" WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, May 3, 2007.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Opinions please. Looking to use mainly on smaller yards over a 21" push...

2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i'd go with the 34 Z. do yourself a favor and spend the extra few hundred. no pull start, guaranteed to have hydros instead of gears, no standing, get the job done quicker even though it's 2 inches narrower.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Agreed! Our 34Z cuts great, saves time and causes less operator fatigue. :cool2:

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Toro t bar is very comfortable. I'm demoing one soon.

5. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you don't have any hills the Gravely 34Z is fantastic. We purchased one last summer and have put about 260 hours on it so far. We still have the 36 exmark belt drive WB that it replaced, but for FLAT small gated back yards you can't beat the productivity.

6. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input... Any significant hills that I have I plan on push mowing anyway. Sounds like a 34" ztr would be a good investment....

7. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Some people may request not to have the Z or a rider on their lawn due to the weight. Some of the small Z like the Scag Z-Cat weigh close to 900 lbs and then throw a 200 lb person on it, and it is getting heavy. But like the others have said, they are more productive and easier on the operator than a walk behind.

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I've been debating the wb or "Z" question for the last 6 months. A 36" Skag hydro wb is my choice. The 36' Z-Cat Skag, with me riding on it comes close to 1400 pounds. (I weigh 275#, you do the math.) I think this is way to much weight for smaller yards where you will driving the same pattern each cut. I'm afraid I will see deep ruts and have an unhappy customer if I use the "Z".
    I think a hydro wb will be just as productive on smaller yards and will get through all of my gates.

Jim