34" ZTR--which would you recommend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobdidit, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Bobdidit

Bobdidit LawnSite Member

All of my yards are 5000 sq. ft. or less and primarily bermuda. I am looking for recommendations on which 34" ZTR you would kindly recommend based on experience or even hearsay if you know someone using 1. I plan to mulch and I am trying to bump up my productivity, but my chief concern is with the quality of cut, followed by getting into 36" gates. I am looking to buy based on recommendations and then demoing. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
  2. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gravely 34z. I love it and it has dramatically increased my productivity. With that said, depending on the arrangment of your lots, it may be worth it to get a walk behind. The Gravely is long and therefore makes it hard to manuver in certain areas.
  3. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Get the Gravely 34z. I had a Hustler 36 and it would not fit through most gates where my brother in law had the Gravely and it would 99% of the time. That little bit makes a big difference. He also mulched with his and it did great!! I was really impressed with grass not building up under the deck. Same town all Bermuda.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I don't know if this is any help or not, but when I was at Maxmium Outdoor Equipment in Wichita Ks the other day I noticed a used Gravely 34Z hiding out under a large shelf where all the used equipment was parked. There was a price tag on it even for $3,000, it looks pretty lightly used too, just looks like it had been hanging out there a while.

May be worth a shot to call them and ask about it, I know its a bit of travel for you but you might be able to save some pretty decent jack.
  5. Turf Gnome

Turf Gnome LawnSite Member

6. St. Andrew's Lawn Care

St. Andrew's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Go with the Gravely 34Z...great little mower, commercial grade...very maneuverable...I have 42 yards and I can get in the back yards for all but 4 yards...4 yards too many with a push mower in my opinion...You will love the Gravely...be sure to have dealer support...and you can't go wrong...

Good luck.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Walker model b with 36 inch mulch deck
  8. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

I started with a 34z. Loved everything about how it cut. Awesome power for such a small deck. Mulches like a champ also. As for getting around, i dont think i noticed many places i could get with a like size WB that i could not get with the Gravely.

Now, the one problem i did have. It is a heavy unit. Built like a tank. We seem to have all rain or no rain here. In times of rain i had to get stuff done as long as it was not raining. So, many times the ground was still soft and with my big fat azzzzz on top of it and its almost 800 lbs, i was over 1k in weight (i think those numbers are right). I noticed it would leave ruts. The ground had to be pretty solid to avoid that. I think if it had wider back tires to disperse the weight a little more, it would be a perfect mower.

Anyway, i ended up selling mine and now have a WB....mainly due to the weight thing and i could use some exercise :weightlifter: .
  9. Bobdidit

Bobdidit LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great posts, been thinking about Gravely or Toro, and you all are pointing me in a direction I was thinking seriously about based on what I have been reading about. Any other input is welcome.

Thanks again
  10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, there is a 34" Black Bear Dixon on ebay right now for $3300. It is nearly $6000 retail. They are built really tough. It has the 17hp Kawasaki KAI engine with dual parker pumps, 7 guage deck. I saw the Gravely, and its built alot better than it. Also the Dixon has a transferable 3 year commercial warranty, lifetime warranty on the deck, and lifetime on the frame. You could prolly get it to your door for around $3500.