340 Rangewing or 72" Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ssgnai, Jul 25, 2004.

1. ssgnai

ssgnai LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide between a 10-15 y.o. rangewing with a few issues that I think I can get for less than $5,000 and a new 72" Super Z at twice that much. I have 5-6 acres to mow with about 4 of it fairly wide open. The ground is flat and smooth to semi-rough where the moles have gotten ahead of me.

My goal is to shorten my mowing time from my existing 30 y.o. ZTR (60") that seems to go 4-5mph without breaking the bank.

If I get the 340, what should I count on for yearly maintenance and repairs to something that age? Are there features/models I should avoid? Would I be buying a project?

I drove the SuperZ - what a machine! The issue for me is cost.

Thanks!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

A 10 to 15 year old unit is bound to have a issue here or there, as with the age, the hours are important, how many hours are on it ? and what issues are known already ?
    I can not possibly give you a estimate for repairs or maintenance on this unit due to not seeing it in person, even then it could be hard.
    As you are aware the Super Z you checked out will cut some grass in a hurry, and it also is a much less complex unit than the Range Wing.
    With 5 acres your looking at about 2 hours (or less) of cutting time with the Super Z.
    I would feel more comfortable myself knowing I have a new, never used unit ready to mow grass when I need to.
    If your looking for more info on the Range Wing feel free to call the factory, they can give you some pointers.
    1-800-395-4757

Pj

3. ssgnai

ssgnai LawnSite Member

Thanks, PJ.

The unit has the 34hp Kubota with ~1600 hours on it and has some issues with decay on the wing decks that will require some welding at some point. It appears to have been stored outside for some part of its life.

A couple of deck tires will need to be replaced. My local dealer has said to avoid belt drive 340's, but then warned that hydraulic drive units cost $500+ each to replace.

Thanks again!

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Being used you dont know what condition the hydraulics are in.
    You would need some test equipment to check it all out.
    This is another reason I would feel more comfortable with a new unit, if I was in your shoes.

Pj

5. ssgnai

ssgnai LawnSite Member

Thanks to all of you for your help. I just signed the paperwork on a 27HP aircooled Kohler 72" cut for $7700 - which seems like a good deal to me. Delivery happens in 2 hours and I'm looking forward to see it perform.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats !!!
    Let us know how you like it, and post some pics for us to admire...lol...lol...

Pj