1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3400 and 5400 transmissions are they holding up? Future of commercial ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jun 9, 2011.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Title says it all and will they be the standard in the future for ZTR's instead of seperate pump and wheel motors? I've got about 400hrs on the Hydrogear 3400 tranny(Bobcat Fastcat Pro) and not a hiccup guys actually prefer it to my Lazers and Predater Pros.
  2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

So far we are loving them, quite a bit better gph on the motors too versus the Parker's. Our best seller this year is a CZt with 3400's, and the outlaw 30hp Briggs with the 5400...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

only 190 hrs. on my gravely pro turn with the 5400. silky smooth. I will post if i have problems though.
    KB Lawn Care likes this.
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe not as many out there as I thought?
  5. ewemule

ewemule LawnSite Member

2011 Pro Turn 260 with ZT 5400. Very nice machine.
  6. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I have the 3400s on my Gravely, very happy with them so far through 250 hrs.
  7. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I have yet to see any real high hour units out. Only time will tell how these units will hold up... I do not think they will hold up as well as the older pumps and wheel motors.
  8. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Hello Retro, I've never driven any Z's with the integrated set up, what are the differences in the way they "feel" compared to pump/motor set up?
    Thanks, Stan
  9. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

there really is not much difference in the way they feel. I do believe it takes less effort to push the controls forward and back, and when you go up steep hills and mow steep slopes they do not whine like my separate pumps did. I just turned over 200 hours on my 260 pro turn last week, so it doing good so far, but i usually keep my mowers to the 1500 hour mark, so well see.
  10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, they are more responsive and easier to maintain. Transaxle you can drain all fluid, and on pumps they dont recommend draining fluid, so they are truelly serviceable where whites, parkers, and kanzaki pumps are not fully serviceable..... On pumps, it takes more power from the motor to go, on the transaxles, it uses the gears in the granny more than the fluid, so the motor has more continuous power to the blades, and gets better fuel consumption. I also love the internal wet brake on the 5400s, much better. Its gonna be hard for me to go back to Parker's after using the 54s. So far I have 13 mowers with 5400s over 600 hours, and I have 3 with over 400 hours on the 3400s (just started selling 54s last season, and the 34s this year). I have lots with over 200 hours in each. Only issue so far is a new one that leaked, and we replaced it before it was sold.....knock on wood...lol
    Posted via Mobile Device