1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

34HP Kawasaki blown up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ilc79, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

does anybody know what the problem is with the kawasaki 34hp, ive seen a couple people having problems with them on here ,mine blew up my dealer called and they sent a new engine and its knocking real loud now its on a next lazer z with 60 inch deck blew up at 500hrs and now the new one is knocking with 150hrs,kinda worried bought another lazer with a 29 kawasaki same deck it has 225hrs no problems yet, bought the 29 cause the 34 uses to much gas and i dont see that much power diffrence.
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

These Kawy big blocks have serious problems especially the 37's. Do a search? Sorry about your troubles.
  3. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

Henry is the 29 considered a big block I also have a 31kawy on a wright zk that has had alot of problems and is burning oil with 300hrs on it.
  4. HenryB

Not sure on the 29. The new Kawy's are not like their previous engines. I'd show your dealer all the threads on Lawnsite about their problems. I went through two 37's before I installed a 32 Vanguard out of my own pocket. So much for warranty.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Have a demo LazerZ with the 29 Kawi and it sounds like it has a bad valve tap. Lot of power, but a NOISY engine.
  6. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have a nlz with a 29 kaw and it is really noisy,sounds like the valve train is going to come apart. Prob. had 10 or 12 mowers in the last 15 yrs. ,this is my first kaw. & prob my last. Good power, good fuel econ. but the noise drives crazy. Have a 35 Briggs on a xs much more quiet.About 425 hrs on Kaw.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Good to know. If I do go with a next LazerZ, I'll likely go with the 38 Kohler. This noise IS irritating. Sounds like it needs the valves adjusted.

P.S. this demo unit has 195hrs on it. Oil is full, but VERY dark.
  8. HenryB

Thats how it starts. The oil turns black after 20 or so hours.. Then downhill fast. I'm shocked Kawy is putting out this junk.
  9. means09

means09 LawnSite Member

This is basically what happened to my mower. I have a next lazer z with a 29 hp Kawi. The valves came apart somehow and they shot up threw the block or head of the motor. My motor had 575 hrs on it. The dealer said that another next lazer z mower had the same problem with the valves comming apart and going through the block. He said that this is the only major problems he has seen with the next lazer z's. The rep for Kawi did not admit that they have a problem with these motors they just sent a brand new motor under warranty. The motor was less then a year old.
  10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Looks like it's a good idea to replace these valves every 400 hrs or so for owners that are out of warranty, just for preventive sake, there are six of them though.

This is just Kawi typical. In the motorcycle world kawi is consider cheap, every new bike they come out with is plagued with problems during first and second year. After that they become fair products for a fair price but nothing exceptional.