34Hp Toro Kohler EFI stalls out... dealer can't find problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grasscutter24, Jul 6, 2014.

1. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Jeff in AL and Blue ridge lawn care, I think you both may be onto something with the fuel line/pump. Going to ask the dealer to look into that as well. I have noticed on the hotter days after mowing for a couple hours is when it usually acts up.

2. grasscutter24

Thank you for giving me this info. If the shop can't fix it this time I may give them a shot if they do warranty work on it!

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

It was an issue with them a few years ago. But we have no idea how old this unit is. Kohler redesigned the pump mount to add clearance away from the hot engine. Toro added the insulation on the line. Both things solved the problem, IF that is the problem. Again, this is where a competent dealer comes in.

4. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

i'm having similiar problem on my 2013 exmark with kohler efi and red tech. Guess i'll try fuel filter

5. grasscutter24

The issue ended up being the voltage regulator.

6. agent walker

Interesting. What does it look like and where is it located?

7. grasscutter24

I didn't repair it myself. Dealer took care of it because its under warranty.

8. agent walker

changed the fuel filter but it didn't fix the problem

9. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

Its usually located on the engine shroud with 3-4 wires going to it. I would have to get into my papers on EFI for trouble shooting and testing. You can test the regulator and the stater for voltage output. I'll look up my papers and get it on here asap. (i used to have EFI machine but don't anymore, but still have papers on them).

10. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

agent walker...Do this first, if you think its a charging issue...

Knowing that you have a good battery....

Hook up a volt-meter to the battery and test volts...engine NOT running.

Then start engine with volt-meter connected to engine still and see what your volts read.

If the volts read less when engine is running than what it did when engine was not running, then you know you have a charging issue.

Check your fuses...visual check and then with a test light when engine off and when engine running...

Hook up clip to ground on battery, then prob the fuse (both sides of it so you know if volts/power is going through the fuse). Check all fuses this way....you should have at least one inline fuse for power (usually red wires) and one inline fuse for charging system (probably purple wire) and you may have another on an EFI engine.

There is a way to check the ohms on the voltage regulator as well and to see if its charging or putting out what it should but the wire schematic varies from engine to engine and the manufacturers wire schematic on the mower side of harness as well so they are not all necessarily the same.