1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

34in,46in,56in,66in decks? Why and what's going on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

What is the deal with all these odd size new decks? It really makes no sense ;I guess it does away with aftermarket blade competition. I guess striping is going to get really tricky, Time to sell all those 52 and 60 inchers and buy some 46 and 66 inch decks clever way to persuade us to replace our fleets and really confuse workers.
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I can totally see the 34" and the 66". To me a 32" and 36" mower never made sense, and same with a 48" and 52", why have such close deck sizes. And then there was the huge gap between 60" and 72" that is now being filled. With only one or two companies switching to what some refer to as "odd" deck sizes, I can't see where it will screw everything up. There will still be plenty of 36", 48", 52" decks out there. The 34" will fit in 36" gates and same for the 46" in 48" gates. Those make sense to me. I think a couple companies finally started thinking about their deck sizes and started making them a little more practical.

How will it make striping tricky and confuse workers, I guess I don't understand that? Exmark and Hustler still make 60" decks, no one has done away with that...
  3. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking more for guys with multiple crews and machines. To start introducing a 66in when you have (6) 60 inchers would definately cause an odd mower out syndrome. Changing blades and mixing up all the different sizes. Thats why most companies try to standardize to one size. But hey, I guess I could replace all my 60's with 56's but then what if they swith to 63 inchers?
  4. jtkplc

Well for us solo guys, the smarter, more practical thought out deck sizes work better. When you can buy a machine that is more "custom fitted" to your accounts, it means more $$$ in my pocket. When you can buy a 66" that will increase your effeciecy in large areas, but also be able to go on the smaller residential lawns, it works out better than a 60", or in a worse case scenario, having to run both a 60" and a 72".

I understand the blade problem, not everyone will carry the odd sizes, but I guess that's just something to consider, is it worth the "custom fitted" deck size for the hassle of odd size blades.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I feel that the sizes should be: 34", 40 or 42", 50", 60", 72".

I can't believe that 6 inches more or less can make that much difference when you are talking a 72" cut. No matter if it's 66" or 72" it's just not gonna cut that great unless the ground is super smooth. Maybe a half way size like a 56" is a good idea, but I don't see why more don't go for a 40 or 42" machine at all. That's where they have the big jump between 36" and 48". There's a few 44" ers but that's close enough to being a 48" you may as well go with the 48".

Walker is about the only 42" offered, and I wouldn't want a $10K mower with that small of a deck unless I could use it on all my lawns (if they were all really small)

I guess you can pick a different brand too... What sizes are all offered? 19, 20, 21, 26, 30, 33, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 48, 50, 52, 56, 60, 61, 62, 66, 72, 74. Jump into larger than 74" and your choices are still there, just multiple cutting decks... That should be enough choices!
  6. jtkplc

don't forget 37 and 54 inch decks!
  7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

or the 32"
  8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I was at my Exmark dealer today. They have my new Lazer but it is still in the crate. I will be buying a few extra sets of blades for it as the blades from my other Lazer are different. My dealer asked me what type of blades I want to order. She said there are 9 different types of blades that can be used with the new Triton deck. I told her that is too many choices for mowing the cow pastures I do that people call lawns.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im not real fond on the new size thing, what ever makes every one else happy. Honestly I've never seen a need for those funny sizes, and have never needed anything other than standard 32" 48" and 60". I guess they have to do something, but it's gonna be harder and harder to get blades and parts for my aging mowers. I have an old tri-vantage lazer (1995 or 96' 60") aa 48" Jacobsen w/b that is about 15 years old, and an Exmark 32" from when they had skinny belts. My newest mowers are 1999 and 2004 (lazer).
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A 34" will fit through many more 36" gates. I've never had a gate that a 32" will fit through but a 34" wouldn't. Makes sense to me. Actually I've never had any gate a 34" wouldn't fit in. So that's a good minimum.

A 46" will fit through more 48" gates w/o losing too much productivity. I would prefer 44" since I do have a few gates where a 44" would fit but not a 46".

Since they have 46" now, 52" is too similar so they took it up to 56" as an intermediate step to 66".

A 72" deck may not fit on a typical 6' wide trailer, so they went smaller than the traditional 72". Perhaps a 66" allows them to capture the old 60" and 72" market with a single deck design at a lower per-unit cost for that model of mower.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd have 34" and a 46" deck mowers. If I mowed large areas, the 66" would be a good size. I'd prefer them over the previous 36,48, and 72" sizes for access and versatility.