34Z Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by splatz100, Mar 25, 2005.

1. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright heres my problem:

I just bought a 34Z, and when I come to the turns I'm rutting the yard. Sometimes its a divot, and sometimes it looks like I peeled out. Arent you supposed to come to the turn, stop, then go forward on one and reverse on the other.

My thought might be the tire pressure but I'm not sure. Another possibility is something I hear some people talk about is the 3 point turn, which I dont know what it is.

Can you guys please help?

Thanks

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You are going to have to do Alot More 3-Point Turns w/the 34" Z compared to a Hydro Walk which can spin one Wheel Forward & One Backward w/out scuffing the Turf More Often. Three Point Turn Like a Car.

3. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

It is going to be hard for me to explain with out actually being able to show you, but here goes. First the three point turn is when you kinda make a wide turn in the direction you are going (like about 20 degrees instead of zero) and then you back up a little, straighten yourself out and then continue to cut. It takes a total of about 1 second more then just spinning around, once you get used to it.
    Next I would say to try to make your turns on pavement if possible. I have also tried to do this with any mower I've had ( lawn tractor, w/b, and even the walker that I used to run) .
    I will tell you this, in my neck of the woods it depends on the grass type that I am cutting as to whether or not it tears it badly i.e. centipede tears worse than zoysia, bahaia, or rye.
    I hope that this will help you some :waving:

P.S. Also maybe try to get in touch with captainken. He has been running one alot longer than me.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

5-10 seconds longer w/a 3 point than a "zero" depending on conditions. 1 second difference would be Impossibe to achieve.... It Adds Up.

5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys. So would tire pressure be a problem or no. My dealer said 15 back and 20 front. I thought it was more 10 back and 15 front.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

This is BS its 2-4 seconds not 10 seconds.

Do this as you decelerate for your turn at the end of the pass. As you come to around the last mower length. Turn and glide over to the lane that you wish to cut next. You should have already cut your perimeter so you will not miss anything if you do it right. Now you have done about 35% of your turn now back up into the lane you last cut in a curve. Arcing the rear of the mower to the perimeter as you go roughly the length of the mower again you now have turned 70% of your turn in 2 actions now go forward into your new line completing your turn in the 3rd action. When you get good you can do this in 5 seconds total and thatÂ’s not that much more time then a zero turn.

As you get good you will learn to feel the rear tires and know if you are on soft ground or if they are loosing traction. Takes a while but trust me you will get that good when you feel this you can back off and prevent any damage to the turf.

7. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Its kind of a J-turn and done as recommended above. If your rear tires are very wide (like come on most 60" cut Z's or bigger) you've got to be very careful, especially on soft or wet turf. The smaller Z's usually have narrower rear tires but you've still got to be careful. It makes me laugh to see TV commercials where these guys just spin around and go! Lucky for them we can't see the big divot they just scorched!

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

your thinking is correct. I have actually mowed with a 34Z (unlike Fareway who is on an obsessive crusade against this mower) , and it is a fine unit.

The tire pressure is probably too high, adjust it to 12 -15 psi. With the narrow
    tires, lowering the pressure will help with tearing the turf, as well as ride and slope holding.

As far as zero turning, it will come to you with practice and experience. Again, the narrow tires make turning without turf tearing a bit more difficult, but you'll be able to do them. Damp or wet turf will be harder and may require 3 point turns.

Happy mowing !