!!!!! 35 acre cemetary !!!!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by holyshnikies, Feb 22, 2006.

1. holyshnikies

holyshnikies LawnSite Member
    from MO

any estimates on how long a 35 acre cemetary would take 20 acres are older above ground markers and the other 15 acres are flat markers:confused:

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Learned that from the low bidder of a local cemetary. My bid was only $200 above his and thank God I didn't get it.

You are looking possibly 100 man-hours. Don't bid it cheap you will suffer. Do a search, many have posted here on Lawnsite about large cemetary work and they usually don't have anyting positive to comment.

It will burn your help out!

Ken

3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are charging $30 and acre then my price would be $1050.00 a mow, just without even looking at the property.

4. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

How can you do that???I am charging at least$45 an acre on residential
    open lawns with far less trimming!!!My hourly would say $4000 per
    cut given 100 man hrs per cut!

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with old dog on this, my rough estimate without seeing would be at least 3500 or more. Personally, I could not even tackle this solo, would have to have some help big time. A job this size would be a full time job for one person.

6. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

I would think they could buy a mower and hire someone cheaper-how about it?

7. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that 5 guys could do that in a day, sun up to sun set? Two guys on 60 inch ztr's and three guys trimming?

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember most Cemeteries you can't fit 60" mowers down the headstone rows but 52" works most of the time. Good Luck!

9. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Holyshnikies,

I have worked for a company that mowed a smaller cemetary. Maybe 8-10 acres.

This probably isn't a big point in the 'realm' of things. The owner always had us weedeat the grass around the raised tombstone almost into the dirt. That way we were only weedeating 1/3 to 1/2 of the tombstones each mow. It's one way that would save hours on labor. I've heard other companies that spray around the raised tombstones. I guess it depends on how 'nice' of a cemetary it is and what the managers allow.

Also, I can't imagine many employees who would be thrilled to weedeat for 8-10 hours straight.

Dave

10. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing you can do is spray a growth regulator around the stones that way you don't kill the lawn.