35 acres how much time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Oct 25, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

35 acres of nice lawn pretty much flat all over,some rolling hills,scattered trees on the prop. probably going to use 1 guy 52" tiger cub,will need to trim also. thanks for your help. go browns

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I say 20-30 hrs.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

1,850 per cut 12 month contract everything added in. Wouldnt touch it with anything smaller than 72" cut. And it would most likely take you 2.5 days 10 hour days. I know a guy that does a harris teeter distribution center (grocery store chain) its 35 acres and it takes him 7 men 8 hours to get it done.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

52" Tiger Cub for 35 acres? Whoa! Better not have anything else much planned for the week.

Like Bunton Guy said, I wouldn't touch it with anything smaller than a 72...or a couple of 61's. Just my opinion.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Walk away. If you have a breakdown without multiple mowers, you're dead in the water. If you get hurt, you're dead in the water. Unless you have good weather, you'll never get the job done, and you're dead in the water. Also, it's lawns like this that will burn you out faster than anything. Furthermore, You'd probably make more money on a smaller lawn, too. Let the guy's with the 16 foot "groundmasters" cut it. Part of mowing is having a "pace" you can live with and work day in and day out at.
    Pete

6. Best thing I have seen on LS in a while.

You need to walk fast, don't even think about it.

I have a friend who has a friend I talked out of doing an $1800 a week cut job. He has 1 other person who works with him and a 52" 48" and 32" hydo mowers, horriable credit, etc.....

Job entailed 12 employees' 8 full hours (96 hours) of work to complete the job in one day, yes must be done in one day.

Day was Thursday, he wanted to go full boar on this, how was he going to get the equipment plus the guys, and get enough work for them the rest of the week.

Not going to heppen.

If you don't have the equipment, employees', or ablitity to do some thing like this in one day, you don't need to be bidding them.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Right on Mike. You need to have the right equipment if you want to play with the big dogs. I sure don't and realize it. Plus, we all want to "go fishing" on a nice day;) ;) With a lawn like that, it would be all work and no play.
    Pete

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't touch it with anything less than 2 men on 72" deck Z-Masters . Even that would take 3.5 hours + trim time.

If I had the equipment I would do it for $1500 a cut if they wanted it cut bi-weekly or 18 cuts per year. Mow, trim and blow, I'd need a contract for 2 years.

Or $700 a cut if I cut every week. They could pay me $25,200.00 per year which is $2100.00 a month. I'd need a contract for two years to get this price. This price includes mowing, trim work and blow down.

I'd love to get a contract like this. Just sit on a mower getting $75 per man hour! SWEET.

Scott

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

The loss of this one job could cost you your business. People wonder why I like to work the smaller 35 to 60 dollar jobs. The reason is simple, if I loose or let go of a job who cares? It certainly would not sink the ship. But if I had one large job that took days to do and I lost that how would I make my payments or mortgage?

Leave this job to the large companies that can afford to loose it.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If they would sign a 2 year contract I'd do it tomorrow. Read my signature, I dont have to worry, the Lord provides.

Scott