1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$35 design program or $650+, what is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kingspointe, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

I just purchased Punch Master Landscape Pro. The program is really difficult to understand and learn. It cost me $80. Have you guys had better luck with less expensive programs or the more expensive such as LSI or Pro Landscape Software? I want to use my digital camera and create landscaping onto the current house, not a template. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you:)
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use the imaging programs for one view - out looking in for a rough idea.

See the 2 sets of photos at the bottom of my page here:

And then I do a design drawing to scale - the only way to know if it fits and works - that's my way to plan.

The photos you saw:

1. One lady wanted to email her son, part owner of beach house, so they could decide if the old garage needed fencing off, or if it could fit in.

2. The other folks - I wanted to give a rough idea of what a final planting on a slope with rock steps might look like. In fact, the constructing of it, is in gallery 1, the other page at bottom where we are setting the basalt for steps.
  3. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

i have punch master landscape too, i can't make decent designs in a decent amount of time with it. It seems very complicated and i usually choose to draw all by hand instead of dealing with it. I am looking into ProLandscape to replace it. Go to the website for Pro Landscape and order the demo disk, it will come in a few days and it gave me a good feeling about spending the chunk of monoey that it costs.
  4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The sucess of the design depends upon one's ability to sell it.
    If you know your plant material and believe in your design, a sketch on a notepad will do the trick.

I draw by hand and have rarely found a need to draw to scale
    in my business. However I also work for the City and often draw to scale with them.

The new drawing programs are too confusing to me,im old school.
    I think I will order the demo,just to ck it out.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Mr Vaden

2. The other folks - I wanted to give a rough idea of what a final planting on a slope with rock steps might look like. In fact, the constructing of it, is in gallery 1

The slope was full of shade,what happened to it?
    alot of bright flowers for that much shade.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

What shade?

That photo is a cloudy day.

Other than directly under the trees, that's a very exposed area to sunlight.

Daylily and the like, went in sun. And ferns and hostas and the like, in the shade.

Of course it came out well.

As you see - those photos are only good for concept when run through such an image program.

I only use the program on about 5% of my design projects, and only for a visual presentation of a certain view.

The programs are valuable when they can be used though.
  7. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

I like Grounds Keeper Pro. Works good for me.
  8. LandMatters

LandMatters LawnSite Member

I'll beat out a design on a notepad any day of the week with a computer design and sell it for 20% more money. If you want to get in to the High End market, you'll need good looking plans (along with the ability to design them). I'm a licensed landscape architect and have had several years of training on all facets of design and have a good technological background. There was a time when sketches on notepad was good enough, and maybe for some people it still works....but my money is on good graphics. I've over bid my competition almost every time, but because my design shows them the final result, it's almost a done deal. I then need to justify the higher cost because of the value the design will add to their home, I explain that the scaled drawing is exactly what the finished result will look like, and I go over every facet of the construction process.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Lets not forget that you can also use CADD on most programs such as Pro Landscape. We have Pro Landscape and wouldn't use anything else. The imaging is a huge seller, people like to see how exactly things are going to pan out. Then you can also give them a CADD design in the 2-D birds eye view that LandMatters showed a picture of. Best of both worlds.
  10. environment

environment LawnSite Member

sorry landmatters, i got you beat in the looks department, i am very good with the design software but personally I enjoy the hand drawing, why, it makes each design one of a kind. Not to mention I charge much more for a hand drawing then a computer one.

however to answer the question, punch is horrible, i got it for christmas years ago when i first began designing, I use dynascape, no imaging on it but great plan drawings and not hard to use, its not cheap though, I got it when i was in college and got a substantial discount through my teacher, not to mention she tought me how to use it.

imaging, I use a few differnt imaging programs, however none are landscape programs, i get my own plant pics, and paver pics, and things such as that from the work I do, and upload them to the programs, takes time but has good quality