1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$35 per man hour labor rate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllAmericanlawn, Mar 22, 2009.

1. AllAmericanlawn

AllAmericanlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what you guys charge for labor rates? What formula do you use? I charge $35 per man hour for me and my employees. Give me your input.
  2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Are you making a profit at $35.00 per man hour? How much is going for taxes, insurance, fuel, equipment maintenance and storage, workman's comp and all of your other expenses? Sit down and figure you hourly expenses and subtract that from you hourly rate.
    Nobody can answer your question without knowing your expenses. Talk to an accountant if you don't know how to figure your expenses. An accountant is money well spent and deductible.
  3. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I have to say, I have started to develop a dislike for all the pricing questions. That's one of those things that's hard to call not knowing the demographic factors of your region.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I like many, many other's have said in years past, there should be no pricing questions allowed. It just takes up space on here and no one gets a good answer. I don't even bother with them any more. (except this one I guess,lol)
  5. Jeff Tracey Enterprises

Jeff Tracey Enterprises LawnSite Member

are you saying you charge 35 per worker, like 35 for you, 35 for 1 employee, 35 for another and so on on just 35 for all of you? If its just 35 total I give me a call when you go bankrupt and I will buy your stuff for 10 cents on the dollar.
  6. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

he said 35 PER MAN HOUR, so obviously, 35, per man, per hour.
  7. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

No one can answer that question.... are you a "scab"? or are you a legitimate business, paying taxes, WC, Insurance etc? If the latter and you're paying your guys more than 7-8 bucks an hour you're probably going to do nothing but tread water.

I'm charging closer to $60 per man hour. Obviously this doesn't include windshield time, time at the shop etc.
  8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you guys on here are just to much. The same guys who come on here and talk about getting 60 plus an hr are some of the same ones who are out there mowing for half of what we charge. What does your 35 and hour include , any equipment or just the labor then you charge and equipment charge ?
  9. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

That's what a lot of guys do, undercut everybody on the mowing price to get a lot of customers and then charge more for other services. it's actually a pretty good plan
  10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Why loose money on anything ? Alot of people only have the mowing done, why ? Because there are so many guys out there mowing way to cheap. As far as our residential market, thing are rediculous, I rode thru one of our neighborhoods that we do several houses in and the mail boxes are loaded with fliers. 2 spanish named guys who made some cheap fliers who do everything from grass to painting and house cleaning, and 2 nice door hangers from companies who are over 15- 20 miles away and looking to "move" into this area. Most of our jobs are full service and the ones that arent can go at anytime without hurting my feelings. The guys who cut prices will soon find out that they are hurting themselves alot more than they are hurting the rest of us.