35 Watt Equivalent LED for G4 base.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by GreenLight, Jul 26, 2014.

1. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I am searching for a 35 watt (or greater) equivalent LED with a 360 degree output that would fit a typical g4 socket (general low voltage bi pin in the style of the jc20). I have found a few online, but I have no idea if they are reputable. The intention is to convert some line voltage fixtures to low voltage and then get close to the same intensity as a 40-60 watt lightbulb. Im open to suggestion, I can convert sockets to basically any style if needed. I do want to stay away from mr16 as Im not really looking for a directional light output.

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I'm also in search of a bi-pin replacement LED 35w equivalent that would fit into a wall wash type flood that has its own built in reflector. I think this is what you are talking about, so I hope there is someone with good suggestions.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

About the brightest G-4 bi-pin I have seen is carried by VOLT. Their 3 watt puts out 285 lumens. (not a 40-60 watt bulb, but pretty bright for a bi-pin). Chris- Also works amazingly well in a mini-wash light with a good reflector. (I am heading out tomorrow night to get pics of said example). I will post em up for you to see.

I have not seen much of any bi-pin LEDs on the line voltage side. You would almost be better off converting the socket to a candelabra (E12 base). There are quite a few selections in LED you can get from there.

4. jana

jana LawnSite Member

Dauer LED has a few. Never used them though. Here

Highest G4 3w I see from Volt is 259 lumen though. Is webpage not updated?

5. Lite4

I'm sorry. I gave incorrect info- 258 lumens is what is on the box.

6. jana

jana LawnSite Member

Thanks for the box info! Got a hand full of these coming after seeing the CRI >90. Hope that's so. Tim maybe you can verify that from a box you have?

7. Lite4

The box doesn't mention the CRI rating.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, if the 3 watt you are talking about from volt is the same that they have for their path light, this isn't enough. I tried that lamp in their "big splash" wall wash when I was testing and the lumen output simply gets lost in that particular application. Also, if I'm not mistaken, that particular lamp will not fit into the mini splash...... but I haven't tried that yet. Let me know if I'm not on the same page, but I'm still looking for that 35w equivalent bi pin that I can put into a "big splash" type fixture with that kind of reflector built into it.

Thanks,

Chris

9. Lite4

Hey Chris,

It fits in the mini. It's tight, but it fits. I had been using the rotatable bi-pin lamp from Illumicare, 130 lumens of front facing projected light. I was worried about losing a bunch of light on the back side of the lamp, but the reflector seems to bounce it around well. I have a stronger lumen output with the VOLT, 3 watt tower than I do with the rotatable in mini wash applications. Not sure on the 35 watt equiv. lamp. What are you trying to wash? Could you use a different fixture with a 60 degree MR16 lamp and an extra diffusion lens to soften?

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

There are no G4 BiPin LED lamps on the market that will produce the 350 to 400 Lumens you are looking for. They simply do not exist. I would do what Tim suggests and use a 60 Degree LED MR16 lamp with additional lensing as required.