1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

350 engine questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KK, Jan 8, 2001.

1. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I have a goodwrench crate motor. Should I use the existing harmonic balancer or buy new? Also, when pre oiling which direction should the distributor shaft turn in the oil pump looking from the top? (CW or CCW?.

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

clockwise on the oil pre prime.
    If the damper looks worn at all get a new one, but if it looks in good shape, go ahead and use it.
    Dino

3. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I heard that the rubber in the balancer deteriorates over time and can throw the timing mark off. So I bought a new one. As for preoiling, I should turn the crank some after the oil is flowing right?

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Even if you turned the dist, the wrong way,it wouldnt hurt snything,it just would gurgle a little,you'l know when it starts pumping,thats about the time your drill will bog right down,prelube until oil is coming out all the tips of the pushrods/rockers and running down into the ball socket area of the rockers.the balancer,i would replace if the rubber is cracked at all,an old balancer will shorten the life of a new engine if its worn,they are not to expensive.

5. KK

KK LawnSite Member

This is a new engine so I decided to put a new damper on it. I plan to keep the old engine pretty much complete when I pull it and possibly rebuild it someday since it is relatively good and has 4-bolt mains. Thanks for your help guys.