1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cowboy, Dec 27, 2000.

1. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

well I'm taking a gander a 73-85 Chevy trucks,because I need a 4x4 for woving out in the snow, and its looking now like I will be starting a plow business too.

Anyway I'm a fan of Inline sixes but they are so hard to come by I'm thinking of keeping my current truck for commuting (you know your a redneck if your commuter car is a 81 Chevy pickup :) )because it gets 15 all city, and it is a beutiful truck, 332,000 on it and tranny is just starting to go out, oustide interior all perfect...uh oh I'm rambling , I love that truck......Anyway....getting a second truck, a 3/4 ton 4x4 with 350 V8, what kind of Gas Milege do you guys get out of a 3/4 4x4 Chevy 350?

I haven't really researched it but about how much is your guys insurance for a second vehicle? trying to figure out if I can afford to have two trucks (college student)? I would like to keep my 81 because it is such a good truck..

anyway thanks for the help

[Edited by cowboy on 12-27-2000 at 12:32 AM]
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Insurance depends so much on age and location, that you will have to call your agent for prices. Expect no better than 10 mpg.
  3. 85w/350

85w/350 LawnSite Member

Just talk to your agent if you kno them very well you might be able to get them to list it as a non-daily driver and maybe even a project vehicle like i did with my 82 which I only use for hauling equipment...the insurance on it is like 20 a month here and on my 85 which is covered its still a whole $65 a month
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dino is right on the money,if you get one with an OD tranny it might be a little bettr,but only on the highway.
  5. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

ugh 10 not good, I think in my Dodge I'm getting like 12.5 3/4 ton 4x4 with 318.

I will probably save the money in gas if I keep two trucks.

Yeah since all my plow jobs would be like in a 25 mile radius or so milege shouldn't be too much a problem if I keep my 81.

thanks for the help