1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$350 mistake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Aug 2, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Well today started out good. Went to the sentar dealer today and they was able to let me use a demo today. 36" 17hp. Well that was the good part. The bad part is i forgot to mix gas and put straight gas in my blower and trimmer. Well the trimmer froze up on me. It was a husky spilt shaft, so i had to replace it Today and it set me back $350. I cant believe i did something that stupid but i guess i have to take it as a lesson learned. Hope everyone elses day went smooth.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

OUCH=we had a guy working for use that put reg fuel in a huqvarna trimmer and ran it in july i caught what happened it is still running today
  3. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

My Shindaiwai T270 did the same thing.. my uncle is a mechanic however and it only cost me $100 to fix. You just need the "block" I believe is what it was called replaced. Better then paying $450 for a new T270.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just for your info....When these unit seize up immediately take the plug out and put in some straight oil. Then get hold of the rope -with plug out- and force the piston to turn. If you can't do it with rope take the rope mechanism off and turn the crank with a tool. In almost every time I have been able to get the units back going. In the one case wher it won't reseat I took the head off and did a light sand by hand. Put in new rings and the unit took off. I got a brand new Echo from repair shop a few months ago that seized up and got it going. So don't give up on them. One of our big Echo PB650 froze up and I got it going and it has run for two years of heavy use. No new rings or anything in it The key is to get that piston going up and down when it is still hot. Just my 2 cents.
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had a helper do that with a blower once.

I recommend that you take the thing apart. You may be able to work that piston free by hand. Then clean it up as best you can and put plenty of oil on it. Reassemble and start it. Starting will be a little difficult at first.

Just because it seized that doesn't mean that it is the end. You might be able to turn it into a good back up machine. My blower is still going strong.
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Opti spray lube in the carb, exhaust port and plug hole. Let it set for a couple of hours then if it won't turn over just remove the recoil and use a wrench directly on the end of the crankshaft. Once the engine is free enough to start continue spraying the Opti into the carb. Spray as much as you can without stalling the engine. After 5 minutes of this treatment the engine may be ok but not as good as before the seizure.

In the future don't carry any straight gas. Fill your large equipment at the service station and run everything else on mixed fuel. Every mower, generator, chain saw, edger and etc that go out of my store have 50:1 in them. This includes new equipment and equipment that we have repaired. We use mixed fuel in everything except diesels. Been doing this since 1985 with no problems.