3500 van to tow a skidsteer??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turboawd, Sep 6, 2006.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

would it be dumb to tow a skidsteer with a new gmc/chevy 3500 van? :dizzy:
    they're rated for 10,000 lbs towing(gas engine).

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ive seen it now not the largest skid but i believe it was a case 1840 also ive seen the pull car trailers dump trailers so i think you should be fine put a brake box in and go

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you are talking about a single rear wheel panel van I don't think pulling a trailer is a good idea. Panel vans never pull a trailer very well if your truck is a cube van its a little better but still not that great.

4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

why do you say that?
    i assume when you say "panel", that you mean a cargo van?? yes, i'm looking into a cargo van, no box body.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The reason vans don't pull that well because they have so much overhang if you get a extended van forget it because its worse.

I looked up the engine choice you only have the 6.0 gas 300hp at 4400 rpm and 360 ftlbs at 4000 rpm talk about screaming you have to have your foot to the floor.

Not a wise move to try pull heavy trailers with a small engine its already labouring because its carrying a heavy van.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

our local rental yard uses nothing but vans to deliver all their equipment, idk how they work out for them but they are a pretty big company and they've been using them for years so im assuming they dont have problems...

7. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

ONLY 300 hp, I've used my 6 banger to pull smaller skid steers. So what, you can't get to 60 in 20 seconds.

8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with the 6.0 GM puts them in their one ton cab and chassis. there not Duramax's by any means but i've towed a 7k lb Excavator with out any trouble.

9. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive seen plumbing company's pulling around mini ex's with van around here you should be fine.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

One of our rigs is a dualy 3500 van with an ambulance style body. We tow 6-8k machines with it all the time.