1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

3500HD GMC/Chevy or Ford F450?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkwl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I wouldn't expect more than 10-11 mpg.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking at a 450 w/ v10 you may see 9 mpg with a tail wind and thats it . They are limited to the 4:88 rears

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My 2007 F250 V-10 with 4:10's get around 8 maybe 8.25mpg towing my 8x16 enclosed trailer.. They say the taller gears help but the v-10 is a thirsty engine, though it is a very sound engine.

4. GallucciLandscaping

GallucciLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 Chevy 3500hd dump with the 6.0L gas and 4.10 gears. That thing only gets 7-8 mpg and it doesn't matter if I'm loaded or not. I have a few friends with F450/F550 Vito the v10 gas and 4.88 gears. They are reporting 6-8 mpg. At those numbers all you can do is hope/pray that gas doesn't go over $5

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I know they don't do well on MPG's but I'm after the simplicity/lower repair and maintenance costs of a gas engine over a diesel. How's your 3500HD handle payloads/towing? I can get a new 2012 GMC 3500HD 6.0L Gas 4x4 mason dump for $31,000 so I'm leaning that way but I want to make sure I'm not buying an undersized truck...

6. GallucciLandscaping

GallucciLandscaping LawnSite Member

Mkwl, I love my 3500hd. Never had one issue with it. Hauls anything I've ever asked of it, pulls our 12k equip trailer just fine. Absolutely love it. That being said, it just doesn't have a great payload. DOT is really tough in my area and getting tougher. I'm considering purchase of an f550 to stay legal all the time and not worry. If you have side boards on the 3500 and put mulch in it you are legally overweight. I work to hard to be spending money on fines, I'd rather spend that money on a truck payment and keep working rather than being weighed with DOT all the time. I'm sure you could get anF450 4x4 with dump bed for 38-40k depending on bed and options. Really something to consider AND you can always take on bigger jobs now that you would have bigger equip.

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

After doing months of research, wearing out my friends and calling or e-mailing every dealer with-in 500 miles I am buying a new 2012 3500HD 4x4, gas auto, dually with a flat-bed already on it. Reasons: diesel too expensive to maintain and very problematic, not many around in good shape, most trucks around here are the 6.0 Ford time-bombs and are still over-priced. The truck is mainly to be used for mulch, hauling mowers and for leaves in the fall. Putting my Boss V for snow. Having a hoist installed and drop down sides. This truck is the best for our business, doesn't mean it would work for everyone. Also the DOT issues are another reason to pick a 3500 over 450.