1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

35hp vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gruneich Lawn Care Inc., Apr 17, 2007.

1. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Does anybody actually have the 35hp vanguard? I have seen alot about the 31, but not much on the 35hp. I usually buy 28EFI Kohlers, but this new Briggs is looking kinda tempting. Any help?:confused:
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Audrey (member) has had one on her turf tiger and has had nothing but good to say about it. I think they would be similar to a 31 quality wise. I'm loving the 31. The 31 far and away feels and preforms (speaking power wise) much better than any of the Kohlers or Kawasaki's that I've run including the 29efi. I'm not saying its a better engine than the Kaw (probably isn't) but it just feels more powerful in the drivers seat. Theres no replacement for displacement........they say
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

as a hedge against your forecasted fuel consumption with a 35HP gasser!
  4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Does anybody know the actuall fuel consumption, my EFI's are right around 1 gallon per hour, depending on load? I know the big blocks are going to be higher, but how much higher?
  5. tacoma200

I'm using only a bit more than a gallon an hour (1.3-1.4 gph) on average. I do very heavy cutting. If I were doing normal cutting it would be wasteful and overkill but it is so much more productive on two week lawns than the 27 I doubt it's using more fuel per acre mowed because I'm mowing it so much faster. I am mowing very heavy grass often at 8-12 mph instead of 6 mph that a 27 or 28 hp would have to run. For most people the extra horse power is a waste but in my application its just enough. I'm usually cutting two week lawns down to 3.25" with one swipe. I know all about the 1/3 rule of cutting but I don't have time for it.

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

It has tons of power. Would be a good match for a 72" deck. The guys that run large chippers also love this engine because of its TORQUE. This large v twin is replacing a lot of 3 cylinder diesels b/c it is so much cheaper but still has lots of power.

If you are very concerned with fuel consumption you may look for something else. The 35hp Briggs has TWO fuel pumps mounted side by side above one of the valve covers and I'm sure this engine is thirsty. The Kawasaki 29hp DFI is a good choice for a 61" deck. Great fuel consumption and power. 27hp Kohler is also a good choice although it has a carburetor like the 35 Briggs.
  7. tacoma200

A 29 Kaw efi would be my first choice for heavy cutting because of Kawasaki reliability, water cooled for longer life, fuel injected for better fuel economy, etc.. But for sheer power the Briggs will just out work it. I just got a good deal is the reason I went with Briggs over Kaw, but I'm sure loving the power.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder why no one is using the 31HP Kohler Aegis EFI on any mowers....

May want to hold off for the big Kawasaki and Kohlers that are coming out this year. 37HP from Kaw and 38 from Kohler...both around 1000cc.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting a 61" Bob-Cat Predator this week, it has the 33 Generac. I noticed in the brochure it's available with a 37 hp Kawasaki.
  10. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i'm waiting for the day honda steps up to the 30 hp range...